1. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by CrUiZeR
    here is what my plan was for these moves:
    8b- so i didn't lose my bishop leaving me even more open during the match
    18b- to try and force his knight back, i didn't see that possible fork.
    23b- capture his rook, thought he'd move it. forot about that pawn,
    25b looking for a threatening move completely forgot about protcting that knight
    26b- this is where 's why I lost the Queen early. If you have any more problems with my moves please tell me.
    i think your replies pretty much sum up the problem really, you need to take more time and look at the consequences of your moves. use the "flip board" feature after every move if need be but you need to try thinking of what your opponent is going to reply with. try to play slower, even if your opponent is trying to hurry you.

8b - move the bishop away and you get to keep it, better to shift it than swap it for a pawn later.
    18b - try to watch for this type of fork, its really popular (flip board feature would probably have prevented this)
    23b - had you moved it away on move 8 then this wouldnt have been an issue (as mentioned already the flip board feature would probably have prevented this)
    25b - ok mate was in sight and maybe he would not have seen it but that bishop killed that and what was left your defense (see 23b above)
    26b - Ke7 would have been more threatening (see 23b above)

If this is a typical game for you then I seriously believe that your game will improve by simply flipping the board round for a moment before clicking the "move" button. This should give you a better insight into what your opponent is going to play next and possibly even what their plan of attack might be.

I hope you can see that im not picking on you or trying to cause offense but trying to help your game. Stick at it dude, you will get there 🙂
  2. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 21:391 edit
    listen here, I'm not an elementary player, outside of RHP, I have (all the people I play are the best in my area) won 16 and Lost 4 and been stalemated 1. u just watch me rise
    lol, i consider myself to be an elementary player (maybe elementary+) been playing for almost 30 years now and must have played sever thousands of games. If all you played in your life are 21 games i think you might be at the point that one time you might hope to become an elemantary player. Of course i do not know the people that live in your area but unless those people are all high (like 1700+) rated players i think that i might be right about this.

Looking at what you did wrong in your game, well, you tend to focus on your own moves and forget that the other player is allowed to move too. That way you only see half of the game and often lose pieces that should not have been lost in the first place. Take it from someone that knows, i do have the same problem myself 😀

EDIT: read the post before this one. That is good advice.
  3. Joined
    28 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 03:06
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Actually there is a 2 move checkmate....A.k.a "fools mate"

I.e

1.f4 e5 2. g4 Qh4#

I assume you Know that...but have just got confused thinking of 2 "ply" rather than 2 moves....

*1 'Ply' is 1 HALF-MOVE
    You're right... I wasn't thinking.
  4. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 03:17
    Being careful will raise anybody's game--mine too. Plopping your queen down in a place where it could be taken is a sign of carelessness. Asking other people where you went wrong is a sign of ridiculousness.
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 03:19
    Excuse me, I didn't see the first part of your posting: "Excluding the very beginning." In truth I would have resigned the game and tried to do better in the next game.
  6. Back Home.
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 23:551 edit
    i concur what u have said MCA
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 01:38
    listen here, I'm not an elementary player, outside of RHP, I have (all the people I play are the best in my area) won 16 and Lost 4 and been stalemated 1. u just watch me rise
    Your game reveals that you have not yet learned certain elementary principles. I played chess seven years, winning most of my games, before I began learning these principles. It took that long before I was exposed to a chess player that was not grossly incompetent at the game.

You asked for help, so you will not long remain an elementary player unless you contine to insist that you already know those things that you desperately need to learn.
  8. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 19:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Your game reveals that you have not yet learned certain elementary principles. I played chess seven years, winning most of my games, before I began learning these principles. It took that long before I was exposed to a chess player that was not grossly incompetent at the game.

You asked for help, so you will not long remain an elementary player unless you contine to insist that you already know those things that you desperately need to learn.
    i believe that he is listening to what has been said really (at least going by his last post). i just dont think anyone likes it when told that they "suck" (see Shinidoki's post).

it's true that he is currently an elementary player but it's likely that he feels more advanced since he has some knowledge of how to get a "quick" mate (hence losing his queen on move four trying to get a mate from F2 and one of his earlier posts). He has most likely got away with these quick mates against certain players and this has increased his confidence until it has become over-confidence.

with more experience, cruizer will see that he would get on better if he advanced his pieces whilst strengthening his attack instead of going for the unlikely quick win.

cruizer asked for help and i think that we should at least try to let him see where his problems are without insulting him (i dont mean you wulebgr, just some of others in these very friendly forums). from what i can see his main problems are overconfidence and lack of foresight, both of these can be fixed without any insults being thrown around.

on a personal note: I recently had a guy try one of these quick mates on me, who was then puzzled cause i didnt block it until the very last moment. he asked why i hadnt blocked it earlier, so i said that i would rather have hime waste his time moving his queen out into the open while i advanced my other pieces into a more solid position. He then got a little arrogant about his queen being a hunter which needed room to move or some such crap ... and in the end i kicked his ass 😀 ... which just goes to prove my point about over-confidence.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 19:23
    Originally posted by MCA
    i believe that he is listening to what has been said really (at least going by his last post). i just dont think anyone likes it when told that they "suck" (see Shinidoki's post).

it's true that he is currently an elementary player but it's likely that he feels more advanced since he has some knowledge of how to get a "quick" mate (hence losing his queen on m ...[text shortened]... the end i kicked his ass 😀 ... which just goes to prove my point about over-confidence.
    I realize that saying a players skills are elementary sounds like an insult, but I do not mean it that way. Everyone starts as an elementary player. Some advance more rapidly than others. For some, natural talent gives them nearly immediate insight. For most of us, we remain elementary players until we meet and play others who are skilled.

In my case, I played my siblings and friends, and one old patzer, until I became friends with another kid that owned a chess book. The idea that books were written on chess was astounding to me, and I went to the library and found the chess book. Irving Chernev's The 1000 Best Short Games of Chess taught me notation, a few elementary tricks and traps, as well as the tactics that go with them, and forever cured me of 1.h4.

In consequence, my skill and interest in chess grew. As my pool of opponents expanded, my chess skill grew rapidly. Always since, I have had associates who were better than me, but I have been better than most. That was 31 years ago, and I havebeen improving more in the past two years, than in the previous five.
  10. London
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 20:34
    Where do you live?...the best players in your area can't be very good. Most people rated 1300-1400 on this site would consider themselves elementary, and they ALL know basic opening strategy; not moving the queen out and losing it on move 3, following an opening line etc...I find it incredibly unlikely that you have won 16 games against the best players in your area unless you live in a zoo. What you need to do is learn some basic opening strategy, learn better than "basically" how all the pieces move, check the board before each move to make sure you don't blunder your queen and do other elementary things like that. Until then, you are most certainly not an elementary player; you are less than.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 20:49
    Originally posted by MCA
    You mean this one?

"That Made me Laugh.....If only I could bottle Arrogance and Sell it...

You Know a 2 move checkmate and how to move the Horsie?

Well you Sure Impress me...

But anyway - here's my advice: - Change the Attittude and accept that you suck (if that game is anything to go by)

Once you have eaten your humble Pie then you will be wise enough to take the advice given here and consider yourself an "elementry player"...

Look at all the points I made....How do they differ from yours?

they don't....You just decided to tell him he sucked in a very long-winded - very polite maner......

Afterall how, in this context, me calling him "arrogont" any different from you calling him "over-confident" ?? --Nothing, all but a few negative conotations

I have nothing against "weak" players - It was the attittute that bugged me.....
  12. Back Home.
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 22:14
    i guessw i am elementary but I made the wrong move first, I wasn't thinking straight, I had to get up at 5a.m. (11+ GMT) To go fishing (I hate it so much)😠
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 22:21
    i guessw i am elementary but I made the wrong move first, I wasn't thinking straight, I had to get up at 5a.m. (11+ GMT) To go fishing (I hate it so much)😠
    How was the fishing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree