What would you have played here?

What would you have played here?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Aug 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
In blitz I would play h4 every time - why waste time looking for something better?
because as a rule of thumb you don't push pawns until you're sure it's gonna do something.

if it turns out to be defendable and you lose the pawn, you lose ALL the tempi invested in pushing it.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
03 Aug 11

Originally posted by wolfgang59
In blitz I would play h4 every time - why waste time looking for something better?

(Who was it who said "I want a plan - not the best plan - just a plan" , I thought Eisenhower but cannot find it on web)
If it was Eisenhower, that would explain why he approved Operation Market Garden...

E

Moves
03 Aug 11

Hey all. Apologies if the answer to my first question was not as clear but as I thought! I figured that Bf8 or Ng3 was the move, but that Ng3 could be played at any time, while you only get one chance to play Bf8 before the black knight makes it to d6 and then c4. Like I said in my original post though, this is not a situation where the evaluation is going to spike no matter what is played. I still think Bf8 is a good example of prophylaxis, whether or not it's objectively better than Ng3, as not only must you pick up on black's plan, but also make the decision to move your bishop to f8, which is not a typical square for a white bishop.

Also, WW I think you mean Nf6 not Nc6, that's what confused me. Nf6 and d5 were what were played in the game, which makes sense. The guy just blundered going for the knight fork on e4.

Anyway, here is another position, from a game which was actually played here (Game 8528869):

White to move. Again, nothing tactical and no 1 point swings. You're looking for a quiet move to maintain your advantage.

Hint: Prophylaxis again!

The game ended with another blunder by black. Find the win:

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
04 Aug 11

Originally posted by Elmyr

Also, WW I think you mean Nf6 not Nc6, that's what confused me. Nf6 and d5 were what were played in the game, which makes sense.
oops, actually Nc7-d5 was what I meant! the knight supporting the pawn push of course. -no wonder it didn't make sense. 😀

oh well...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Aug 11

Originally posted by wormwood
because as a rule of thumb you don't push pawns until you're sure it's gonna do something.

if it turns out to be defendable and you lose the pawn, you lose ALL the tempi invested in pushing it.
thanks for that ... I didnt know itv was legal to take passed pawns