Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 07 Aug '10 21:41
    I've complained before that I beat waaay better players on Blitz than I do correspondence chess. This game is blitz but it's not extremely rushed. It was a 15 minute game with 10 seconds credit per move. To me that's more than enough time to pick moves. I'm white and my opponent is rated 1930 and I'm rated 1550 (RHP ratings).

    I don't normally take very long to make moves, but then I also tend to make stupid blunders. On correspondence chess I have yet to beat someone rated in the 1600's. Should I be studying every position for 5-10 minutes each and every move?

    I can't account for the huge disparity in playing ability between "blitz" and correspondence.

  2. 07 Aug '10 21:44
    Looking at the game a second time, he seemed to be playing down more than me playing up.
  3. 07 Aug '10 21:55
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    On correspondence chess I have yet to beat someone rated in the 1600's. Should I be studying every position for 5-10 minutes each and every move?
    There's no such thing as a 'normal' time, but I can tell you what I do:

    - In the opening, if it's an opening I know, move immediately
    - If I have a forced mate, move immediately
    - Otherwise, use most, if not all, of the available time.
    - *Never* move on the same day as your opponent moves.
    - Always choose a candidate move, think about it for a few days, make sure you have good responses to all the likely moves your opponent will make. (Clearly, I don't get this step right every time )
    - If not, find another move.

    YMMV of course, but that's what I do.
  4. 07 Aug '10 21:58 / 2 edits
    I think you really overestimate 1600 elo rating !
    Ratings here are often inaccurate so some 1600 are really good and under-estimated.
    But many other, you could easily beat !

    Just ask our expert Greenpawn to find you some horrible play at that level and you'll see...
    I would rather say that over 1800 most people play decently, and don't blunder too often.

    An example from my games (the guy seems inactive now so it should be ok to show that) :



    Game 6736399

    A piece and a pawn up after 7 moves, and no clever tactics !
    Don't you think you would beat that guy? (ok he's a bit under 1600)

    All you need is a bit more confidence...and yes maybe a bit more time on important moves

    (edit : wrong game number!)
  5. 07 Aug '10 22:02
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Looking at the game a second time, he seemed to be playing down more than me playing up.
    I don't know much about the French Defense, but I don't think that's how it's supposed to be played.
  6. 07 Aug '10 22:11
    Originally posted by aquatabby
    There's no such thing as a 'normal' time, but I can tell you what I do:

    - In the opening, if it's an opening I know, move immediately
    - If I have a forced mate, move immediately
    - Otherwise, use most, if not all, of the available time.
    - *Never* move on the same day as your opponent moves.
    - Always choose a candidate move, think about it for a few ...[text shortened]... ght every time )
    - If not, find another move.

    YMMV of course, but that's what I do.
    I'm more like you...except slower!
    I don't really play anymore since i kept losing on time (ok i have some procrastination issues too)
  7. 08 Aug '10 05:33
    "Just ask our expert Greenpawn........"

    I'm quite capable of losing 10 on the bounce at blitz.
    Blitz is blitz and one should not read much into it on here.
    It's unrated messing about.

    I remember about 18 months ago a whole load of us from this
    forum hit the blitz site and we had tp swap the King & Queen
    in our first 4 moves then play properly.

    White: 1.e3 2.Qe2 3.Kd1 4.Qe1



    We then gathered back here to post our wins.

    Some of the other lads not in on the joke must have thought a
    new opening had been discovered.
  8. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    08 Aug '10 09:45
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "Just ask our expert Greenpawn........"

    I'm quite capable of losing 10 on the bounce at blitz.
    Blitz is blitz and one should not read much into it on here.
    It's unrated messing about.

    I remember about 18 months ago a whole load of us from this
    forum hit the blitz site and we had tp swap the King & Queen
    in our first 4 moves then play proper ...[text shortened]... e of the other lads not in on the joke must have thought a
    new opening had been discovered.
    Send me a game with that board 'set up' GP, and we'll then see how funny it is.

    skeeter
  9. 08 Aug '10 10:03
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Send me a game with that board 'set up' GP, and we'll then see how funny it is.

    skeeter
    For both colours?
  10. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    08 Aug '10 11:01
    Just what part of "a game" did you not understand, not that it's anything to do with you anyway, and being a non-sub parasite to boot.

    skeets