What's special about a chess forum?

What's special about a chess forum?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W

Moves
05 Dec 12

I'm a regular on many internet forums, and I've seen some pretty crazy stuff. But at least it's usually possible to guess what's driving those people. Here, I'm totally bewildered. I've simply no idea what's going on; my jaw is bruised from the constant dropping, and it's starting to affect on the floor too.

All consistent explanations that I can come up with for what I'm seeing here seem extremely unlikely. What's going on? Why have I never seen anything like it anywhere else on the web? Is this forum a magnet for weirdos? Or is it just one very creative weirdo with many accounts?

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
05 Dec 12

Chess players are an eclectic group. "The only thing Chess players have in common is Chess." - Lodewijk Prins

I provide satire, quotes and bad move variations. Glad to meet ya

p

Moves
05 Dec 12

Chess players are an eclectic group. "The only thing Chess players have in common is Chess." - Lodewijk Prins

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
05 Dec 12

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics

Sorry I forgot that was your deal Paul.

p

Moves
05 Dec 12

I was just fueling the single player with multiple account theory. 😉

Wouldn't it have been great if ten people in a row had posted the same response?

Maybe not ... Anyhoot less caffeine for me now!

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
05 Dec 12

Moves
05 Dec 12

Moves
05 Dec 12

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Dec 12

Originally posted by WanderingKing
I'm a regular on many internet forums, and I've seen some pretty crazy stuff. But at least it's usually possible to guess what's driving those people. Here, I'm totally bewildered. I've simply no idea what's going on; my jaw is bruised from the constant dropping, and it's starting to affect on the floor too.

All consistent explanations that I can co ...[text shortened]... forum a magnet for weirdos? Or is it just one very creative weirdo with many accounts?
Well, make up your mind. Are we special, or are we not? 😕

G

Moves
05 Dec 12

You think us Chessies are odd? Prepare for brain melt: http://boards.4chan.org/b/

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Dec 12

All consistent explanations that I can co ...[text shortened]... forum a magnet for weirdos? Or is it just one very creative weirdo with many accounts?
There are actually two weirdoes with multiple accounts.

And me.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Dec 12

Originally posted by wolfgang59
There are actually two weirdoes with multiple accounts.

And me.
I like it when people are fighting and one of them gives all of the other guy's previous handles (at least, what he thinks the guy's other handles are; how they accomplish this remarkable feat of detection is anyone's guess).

Because there just couldn't be more than one of that type of poster on the forum.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
05 Dec 12

I have a theory that activity attracts crackpots.

At one point this forum became very active, and there were many active threads about all sorts of chess-related matters.

It was a good chess crowd, but the problem with crowds is that they attract more crowds, and the gawkers and rubberneckers that arrive later have less interest in the subject matter and more interest in having an audience.

When that happens, the original "content-driven" people get frustrated and leave, and the result is a handful of nuts spouting off on each other with silly challenges, name calling, and "Holy! Holy! Holy!" rants.

My second theory is that this is cyclical, and that the rant-driven people will realize the audience is shrinking, and move on to greener pastures.

For me, nimzo5 is our indicator. When he starts posting, it means the quality meter is rising again.

m

In attack

Moves
05 Dec 12

If I was schizophrenic, would I be breaking TOS by playing as multiple personalities with one account?

I 2nd what Paul said, people like Nimzo5 are the litmus test to forum health. Hopefully this barrage of banality will end soon

Duckfinder General

223b Baker Street

Moves
05 Dec 12

I provide satire, sexual innuendo and Hungarian cookery recipes. Glad to meet ya