1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 20:48
    Hi guys!

I'm brand new here, love playing chess even though I'm not very good at it (proof to follow).

I have a friend that I play quite regularly with, and we're on about an even terms. He loves to play the following opening when he is white:

1. e4, e5
    2. Qh5???...

I usually defend this with 2... d6, he follows with 3. Bf1c4, then I defend with 3...Qd8e7 and so on...

Now, I know that 2. Qh5 is not a very good move and that I should be able to take advantage of that in my opening, but I don't seem to be able to find the very best way of defending against it.

I'm sure some of you guys will have great advices on what's the best thing to do in this situation.

Thanks!
  2. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:03
    the simple Nc6 followed by g6, Nf6, Bg7 gives black a healthy lead in development. There is no magic bullet for Qh5 though .. I believe it has even been played by GMs in their lighter moments so I wouldn't be looking for some move to suddenly crush your friend for their insolence 😉
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:39
    do what you like

Modern Defense is difficult but good.
  4. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 21:42
    A good offense.
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 05:23
    Originally posted by idioms
    the simple Nc6 followed by g6, Nf6, Bg7 gives black a healthy lead in development. There is no magic bullet for Qh5 though .. I believe it has even been played by GMs in their lighter moments so I wouldn't be looking for some move to suddenly crush your friend for their insolence 😉
    GM Hikaru Nakamura of the U.S. would be the only one wild enough to play that at GM level chess.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 05:27
    Originally posted by Dies Irae
    A good offense.
    Beat me to it.
  7. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 06:35
    Originally posted by YellowBullet
    Hi guys!

I'm brand new here, love playing chess even though I'm not very good at it (proof to follow).

I have a friend that I play quite regularly with, and we're on about an even terms. He loves to play the following opening when he is white:

1. e4, e5
    2. Qh5???...

I usually defend this with 2... d6, he follows with 3. Bf1c4, then I defend ...[text shortened]... guys will have great advices on what's the best thing to do in this situation.

Thanks!
    My favorite way to play is to just play 2..Nf6 and let him grab the e-pawn. Then you play ..Be7, 0-0, and either ..Re8 or ..Nc6, winning another tempo. You can then bust open the center with ..d5 and exploit your lead in development. It's a fun way to play, but certainly not the refutation of 2. Qh5.
  8. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 14:16
    The french is widely known to be the best defence.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Jan '07 15:57
    Thanks guys!

That's exactly what I was looking for. "Healthy lead in development" sounds much better to me than "constantly on the defensive" and "can't get your pieces to get out of their own way".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree