1. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 10:19

this is after move 12 of the Ruy Lopez opening and it look like normal Chigorin Defence, but i know that something is wrong with black's move cxd4

does anyone know what it is?
  2. Joined
    04 Mar '08
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 10:45
    I don't know but that move looks fine to me (I may be wrong).
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:032 edits
    Originally posted by banx99
    [fen]r1b2rk1/2q1bppp/p2p1n2/np2p3/3pP3/P1P2N1P/1PB2PP1/RNBQR1K1 w - - 0 13[/fen]

this is after move 12 of the Ruy Lopez opening and it look like normal Chigorin Defence, but i know that something is wrong with black's move cxd4

maybe it's because after white plays 2.cxd4, if 2...exd4 then 3.Nxd4 and black is left with an isolated d pawn. if black doesn't play 2...exd4 though, after 3.dxe4 dxe4 white will be able to develop his knight comfortably. (before 1...cxd4, white's knight was somewhat out of good developing squares).

by the way, all of this may be plain wrong, take it at your own risk 🙂
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:25
    it's just that this is one of the games that me and my friend have been playing and he usually ends up defusing my attacks completely which is annoying.

1. cxd4 Be6
    2 d5 Rac1

and you're in this position

just by looking at this position, who do you think has the advantage?
  5. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 12:591 edit
    it's just that this is one of the games that me and my friend have been playing and he usually ends up defusing my attacks completely which is annoying.

1. cxd4 Be6
    2 d5 Rac1

and you're in this position
    [fen]2r2rk1/2q1bppp/p2pbn2/np1Pp3/4P3/P4N1P/1PB2PP1/RNBQR1K1 w - - 0 15[/fen]

just by looking at this position, who do you think has the advantage?
    I'd rather be white here. Black's bishops are hemmed in, his knight's on the edge of the board. If white moves his knight to c3 black will have to retreat his light squared bishop to d7 where it doesn't have much potential for redeployment. White's central pawns really constrict black's game. The pawn thrust b4 will push black's knight back and hinder any ideas of releasing the tension on the queenside.

I'd like to hear a stronger player's thoughts.

Edit: Black's knight could go to c4 but this would close off (temporarily) the open file, black's only advantage.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:291 edit
    what about something like nb7 (a bad spot for the knight but oh well) forcing white to defend the c3 knight

this also gives way to a potential knight sacrifice on e4 in order to get f5 centre push
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:30

I'm not sure that this position is so normal given White's inclusion of a3. Maybe instead of playing cxd4, Black should play c4 gaining space on the queenside and taking advantage of White's weakening of b3.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:311 edit
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I'm not sure that this position is so normal given White's inclusion of a3. Maybe instead of playing cxd4, Black should play c4 gaining space on the queenside and taking advantage of White's weakening of b3.
    a3 is supporting a b4 push

not to mention the whole position becomes really closed which gives white time in order to prepare a king side attack with nbd2, nf1, ng3
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:46

not to mention the whole position becomes really closed which gives white time in order to prepare a king side attack with nbd2, nf1, ng3
    why would b4 need support when it's not threatened?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:50
    if it wasn't for cxd4 then it wuld be threatened

i'm sure that i've read somewhere that cxd4 is bad, but i'm not sure where
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:56
    if it wasn't for cxd4 then it wuld be threatened

i'm sure that i've read somewhere that cxd4 is bad, but i'm not sure where
    yes but cxd is already played in your position? and what would you accomplish with b4 anyway? black just gets a nice defended knight on c4. and if white exchanges that, black has a passed pawn.
  12. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 13:57

If I had white I would forget about a kingside attack... that's where black's strengths lie. A kingside attack would allow black to swap off his problem pieces (bishops) for your active pieces. Rather maintain the tension and advantage on the queenside and focus your energies there.
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:03
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    If I had white I would forget about a kingside attack... that's where black's strengths lie. A kingside attack would allow black to swap off his problem pieces (bishops) for your active pieces. Rather maintain the tension and advantage on the queenside and focus your energies there.
    black doesn't really have much squares he can use on kingside. I would first take cxd to develop the b-knight on c3, then probably just storm black king.
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '08 14:05

>> a3 is supporting a b4 push

But after c4, if White playes b4, Black plays cxb4 and White’s c-pawn is weak on the semi-open file. So a3 is proven to waste time.

>> not to mention the whole position becomes really closed which gives white time in order to prepare a king side attack with nbd2, nf1, ng3

And what if Black prepares on the kingside too? Plus I don’t agree that the queenside is closed. Black can play a5, b4, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree