1. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 20:39
    Sometimes their rating is allowed to be completely gutted by those who time them out, but other times their games are auto resigned and their rating allowed to stay the same as always.
    I was wondering, what is the deal with that? Are some considered less guilty so are allowed to keep the points they stole from the system?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 20:52
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Sometimes their rating is allowed to be completely gutted by those who time them out, but other times their games are auto resigned and their rating allowed to stay the same as always.
    I was wondering, what is the deal with that? Are some considered less guilty so are allowed to keep the points they stole from the system?
    I briefly went over 1,900 because BlackBuck was banned and his games were auto-resigned (as I remember). I think the process isn´t fully automatic and if the admins are busy their opponents get the points.
  3. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 21:271 edit
    Sometimes the graph is left intact, but check out this guy's rating: User 66792
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 21:331 edit
    When Seadevil was banned I had 10 games going with him and got zero rating points.
  5. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 21:391 edit
    Perhaps the admins look at what opponents the banned user has been playing and if there are any who have complained to them alot in the past then they deny that player the chance to get any points.
  6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 22:32
    Originally posted by Lukerik
    Sometimes the graph is left intact, but check out this guy's rating: User 66792
    Look at the date of the last game. Don't think he was banned for engine use, but for rating manipulation. Probably playing against his multiple accounts.
  7. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '08 22:54
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Look at the date of the last game. Don't think he was banned for engine use, but for rating manipulation. Probably playing against his multiple accounts.
    There were at least 8 of him. And so bright - all of them had 123 at the end of their usernames. Only took them 2 days to spot him.
  8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 14:21
    I wonder why sometimes the admins do allow them to keep the high ratings, those points could be feeding hungry mouths lower down the pecking order.
  9. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 14:58
    I wonder why sometimes the admins do allow them to keep the high ratings, those points could be feeding hungry mouths lower down the pecking order.
    Well, if the system was really fair, it would return all the rating points to the players who lost to the banned player... fairer than unjustly rewarding those who merely have incomplete games against the player. But it would probably be far too unwieldy

The best practical solution is that banning should not affect anyone else's rating other than the banned player whose rating should be set to zero... and that all games are lost immediately a players is banned. I don't see the point of dragging it out until the flag drops.
  10. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 15:02
    So you mean that everybody simultaniously gets a the points which would have been assigned when the engine was at its highest rating?
    I quite like the idea, but with the number of engines lurking around these days it could lead to fairly massive rating inflation and make it harder to spot them coming up the ranks as easily.
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 18:37
    So you mean that everybody simultaniously gets a the points which would have been assigned when the engine was at its highest rating?
    I quite like the idea, but with the number of engines lurking around these days it could lead to fairly massive rating inflation and make it harder to spot them coming up the ranks as easily.
    Everybody? No. Only those who lost rating points to the engine.
  12. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 18:58
    What about those who have wated lots of time trying to play against them - even if the game was not finished they still have been cheated in a way.
  13. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 19:091 edit
    What about those who have wated lots of time trying to play against them - even if the game was not finished they still have been cheated in a way.
    True, but when the cheat is banned mid game, the player hasn't actually beaten a highly rated player. If rating points were to be awarded they wouldn't be a true reflection of the player's skill, which is what rating points are all about.

On the other hand, they do at least win the game, get the tournament points, the challenge points or the clan league points.
  14. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 19:271 edit
    Yeah, I guess you are right there, but 99% of players could not beat a good engine unassisted so couldnt they have the points as a prize for managing not to lose.

You must have picked up quite a few points from engines over the years, especially since you are more likely to encounter them on a regular basis. Would you not prefer for them to be given to you then just kept on a cheating profile?
  15. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 20:08
    Your rating is supposed to reflect your chess playing ability, If it doesn't then there is not much point to it. Can't spend those rating points, can't eat them. There is no point having your rating falsely inflated. Or falsely deflated, as happens when players resign games en masse to "free up" their game load. Rather not play the games in the first place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree