1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 14:27
    Originally posted by hany3
    I feel anyone that resigns in the middle game part of a match is just shameful. Resignations, in my opinion, are intended to end a game with an obvious definite outcome. I'll never resign unless were in an endgame and I'm down to two or less major pieces (regardless of what they are, even two knights against a queen.) If I'm down by a lot in the middle of a ...[text shortened]... re trying to improve your game then what better practice is there than to fight from behind.
    Well put, it states some obvious truths.
  2. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 17:11
    I feel anyone that resigns in the middle game part of a match is just shameful. Resignations, in my opinion, are intended to end a game with an obvious definite outcome. I'll never resign unless were in an endgame and I'm down to two or less major pieces (regardless of what they are, even two knights against a queen.) If I'm down by a lot in the middle of a ...[text shortened]... re trying to improve your game then what better practice is there than to fight from behind.
    I would say that anyone who don`t resign in lost positions without any practical chances (unless your opponent is patzer who cant exploit material advantage or there are chances to win on time) is simple patzer.
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 17:12
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Well put, it states some obvious truths.
    Obvious truths for patzers.
  4. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 17:242 edits
    Besides, if you're trying to improve your game then what better practice is there than to fight from behind.
    If you're trying to improve your play you can spend your time better. Instead of wasting your time playing out hopeless positions you could read a couple of chess books or do some tactics puzzles or both. Or wonder how and why you got in that lost position anyway. I'd rather resign the game so I could analyse it and see what I've done wrong than waste my time playing it out.

I really couldn't care whether some 1300-1400 rated patzer thinks resigning on time is shameful. I find dragging a game out and being checkmated more shameful. I guess the difference lies in the level of play.
  5. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 18:31
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    If you're trying to improve your play you can spend your time better. Instead of wasting your time playing out hopeless positions you could read a couple of chess books or do some tactics puzzles or both. Or wonder how and why you got in that lost position anyway.
    That's not always true schakuhr, you are assuming that the position is hopeless or that there was no compensation for the queen.
  6. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 18:32
    Originally posted by Korch
    Obvious truths for patzers.
    You might be shocked to learn this, but some patzers use chess books, chess engines and databases to help them make their moves.
  7. Standard memberagentreno
    Addicted
    Newcastle
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 18:39
    Originally posted by schakuhr

I really couldn't care whether some 1300-1400 rated patzer thinks resigning on time is shameful.
    Do you often look down your nose at people? This comment tells a lot about you as a person. You're not alone in using this derogatory language I see.

As for the original post, it seems fairly reasonable to continue playing without your queen if you can learn something from it. At any rate, your opponent cannot complain; he/she might even learn something from finishing you off in the most efficient manner possible.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 19:02
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    You might be shocked to learn this, but some patzers use chess books, chess engines and databases to help them make their moves.
    Have you started to use them?
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by agentreno
    Do you often look down your nose at people? This comment tells a lot about you as a person. You're not alone in using this derogatory language I see.
    Riiiiiiight - the derogatory language started with (emphasis added) "anyone who resigns in the middlegame is just shameful". 🙄

As usual with the 'courtesy-police' types, it is OK to slam a whole group of serious players, but not one individual.
  10. Standard memberagentreno
    Addicted
    Newcastle
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 19:40
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Riiiiiiight - the derogatory language started with (emphasis added) "[b]anyone who resigns in the middlegame is just shameful". 🙄[/b]
    That was an opinion and doesn't really qualify as derogatory. What I object to is the dismissal of someone's opinion together with the term 'patzer' applied by a stronger player to a weaker one as if they do not have a right to an opinion on the subject. Agree to disagree; fine. Name-calling? No.

Thats how I feel anyway.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 19:571 edit
    That was an opinion and doesn't really qualify as derogatory. What I object to is the dismissal of someone's opinion together with the term 'patzer' applied by a stronger player to a weaker one as if they do not have a right to an opinion on the subject. Agree to disagree; fine. Name-calling? No.

Thats how I feel anyway.
    Of course it qualifies as derogatory.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derogatory

Main Entry:
    de·rog·a·to·ry Listen to the pronunciation of derogatory
    Pronunciation:
    \di-ˈrä-gə-ˌtȯr-ē\
    Function:
    adjective
    Date:
    circa 1503

1 : detracting from the character or standing of something —often used with to, towards, or of 2 : expressive of a low opinion : disparaging

The 'patzer' comment is not just some haphazard insult. It is common for strong players in serious chess to resign in the middlegame. A player who calls this 'shameful' only reveals their ignorance of common practices in serious chess, or their contempt for those practices. Such a person IS very likely a 'patzer', and thus the comment is justified.
  12. Standard memberagentreno
    Addicted
    Newcastle
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 20:01
    Of course it qualifies as derogatory.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/derogatory

Main Entry:
    de·rog·a·to·ry Listen to the pronunciation of derogatory
    Pronunciation:
    \di-ˈrä-gə-ˌtȯr-ē\
    Function:
    adjective
    Date:
    circa 1503

1 : detracting from the character or standing of something —often ...[text shortened]... e practices. Such a person IS very likely a 'patzer', and thus the comment is justified.
    I don't need to be lectured thanks. I can see you have a touch of that same superiority complex yourself so I'm done with you.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 20:103 edits
    I don't need to be lectured thanks. I can see you have a touch of that same superiority complex yourself so I'm done with you.
    Of course you're done. You're not the kind of person who can handle getting your bluff called, are you?

Re-read your latest post - no discussion of the issues; only derogatory comments. You're a hypocrite.
  14. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 21:02

Thats how I feel anyway.
    ignore these myopic short-sighted macaroons, the juvenile whiny tone and the clueless ad hominems are a dead give-a-way.
  15. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    07 Jun '08 21:051 edit
    Re-read your latest post - no discussion of the issues; only derogatory comments. You're a hypocrite.
    Liar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree