1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    31 May '08 23:15
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    The first video clip from the top of the page:

http://www.chessvibes.com/tournaments/baku-fide-grand-prix-r11-wang-yue-joins-grischuk-again/
    i bet that hurt.
  2. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 02:16
    Thank you for your comments...food for thought. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 06:28
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    No it's true, people lose queens all the time in blitz, the outcome being very unclear.
    well blitz is blitz and chess is chess 😉
  4. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 08:51
    Precisely. Of course i was talking about world-class grandmasters and not your average-ish chess players. Thanks for setting the record straight. 🙄
    Yeah, Capablanca and Botvinnik are very "average-ish" as you put it (despite being world champions for some time).
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 19:22
    Precisely. Of course i was talking about world-class grandmasters and not your average-ish chess players. Thanks for setting the record straight. 🙄
    Calling Capablanca and Botvinnik "average-ish chess players" you are showing your ignorace (again).
  6. washington
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 20:00
    If I have drawing chances then I will play on. Once I obviously cannot win and I am being stubborn I will respectfully resign.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    I've had many opponents who have resigned after an error that resulted in the loss of their Queen. But when I make this mistake and lose mine, I have had a few games where I've played on and managed not only to capture my opponent's Queen, but also to manage checkmate.

What do you guys think? Lose your Queen and resign? Or not?
    It really depends on what you think of your opponent. If I'm playing someone on my skill level or higher and I'm down a full queen, I would not play on (I probably wouldn't even play on down a full rook unless I felt I had some positional compensation). However, if I'm playing a weaker opponent, I'll play until I'm completely and irredeemably lost.

I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" answer though. It's everyone's right to resign and everyone's right to play on in any position.
  8. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:03
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    well blitz is blitz and chess is chess 😉
    This i understand, go back and read the entire thread savantman.
  9. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:041 edit
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Yeah, Capablanca and Botvinnik are very "average-ish" as you put it (despite being world champions for some time).
    lookey here girls i didn't say that, you are quite the foolish ones. 🙄
  10. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" answer though. It's everyone's right to resign and everyone's right to play on in any position.
    rocket science my dear man, rocket science. 😉
  11. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:15
    lookey here girls i didn't say that, you are quite the foolish ones. 🙄
    Directly quoted from eldragonfly: Of course i was talking about world-class grandmasters and not your average-ish chess players.

I'm afraid I must have misunderstood you. Please make your future posts clearer.
  12. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:33
    Originally posted by mjolnir
    Directly quoted from eldragonfly: Of course i was talking about world-class grandmasters and not your average-ish chess players.

I'm afraid I must have misunderstood you. Please make your future posts clearer.
    you are taking my quote out of context, look at the idiotic comment it was made in response to. 😵
  13. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:37
    you are taking my quote out of context, look at the idiotic comment it was made in response to. 😵
    If readers of this thread have misunderstood your post then please feel free to understand what did you mean with "average-ish chess players".
  14. Joined
    21 Aug '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 19:18
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I personally have a tendency to finish games I play in person (OTB) more often than those I play on this website. The immediate pressure to convert an advantage into a win is actually a factor in OTB, while in correspondence chess the winning side can take his time and have a fresh look each turn.
    Exactly. In OTB I've seen "won" positions where the player (up say a queen, and maybe even a rook!) put the opposing king into stalemate and hence a draw due to carelessness. The clock is your friend in a losing position. Draw up complications and your opponent will feel extra pressure to win and may blunder under time pressure.

I have no problems with players not resigning as I tend to resign late myself.
  15. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 20:48
    I don't understand why some people resign at the first sign of a loss. The reason most professional players resign after even a pawn advantage is that they can see the result of the game way before a person like me can. They can also better judge how their opponent is playing.

BUT

To me continuing to fight in an obviously lost position is just going for a cheap win. Although a win is a win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree