1. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 11:414 edits
    What I want to know is where on the net I can download software for an image processing editor, preferably a free one if such a thing exists, to my personal computer desktop for making basic images of chess boards with the given positions for all the chess pieces (very simple standard chess piece symbol representation would suffice) in various parts of a chess game so that I can then edit those images into a booklet about chess that I am making showing various chess moves (so I only want to use the editor for very simple static images only because this is for a physical booklet so don't cure whether the editor does interactive images).

Alternatively, a weblink for making chess images online only would also suffice because I already know exactly how to capture any image online and then image process it into a word document.

Have any of you got any recommendations for that?
    Weblinks?
    For ages I tried searching for this over the net but got absolutely nowhere and gave up in despair.
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 12:331 edit
    @humy said
    What I want to know is where on the net I can download software for an image processing editor, preferably a free one if such a thing exists, to my personal computer desktop for making basic images of chess boards with the given positions for all the chess pieces (very simple standard chess piece symbol representation would suffice) in various parts of a chess game so that I can ...[text shortened]...
    For ages I tried searching for this over the net but got absolutely nowhere and gave up in despair.
    http://scid.sourceforge.net/

You get of course much more than you asked for. But you can set up boards or imprt PGN or FEN and print out the boards.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    16 Oct '18 14:283 edits
    @ponderable said
    http://scid.sourceforge.net/

You get of course much more than you asked for. But you can set up boards or imprt PGN or FEN and print out the boards.
    Thanks for that 🙂 That's brilliant.
    And that worked fine first time, no problem.
    I downloaded that and, to get to only the bit I really want, I find all I have to do is click "edit" and then click in the edit drop-down menu "set up start board" and the rest becomes pretty much self-explanatory.
    I have also already captured an image of a position from it and edited into my word document and that took me only about 20 seconds so no problem.
  4. Leeds, England
    Moves
    18 Nov '18 04:32
    @humy
    Or just set the position up on a normal board and take a photo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree