1. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 May '09 11:22
    Hi.

I am very disappointed with this game as I got to the end game with the better pawn position and a bishop vs. my opponent's knight. Where did I go wrong? ...I should have won this! :-(

Game Game 6285863

Was it:

(a) I think I played a bit without direction in the end-game. Should I have pushed my pawns more aggressively?

(b) I allowed the isolated e-pawn to exchange. Should I have focussed more pressure on it, trying to capture it?

(c) I allowed my h-pawn to fall, which was definitely a big blunder.

(d) The night for bishop exchange? Was it correct - or was it all over already at this point?
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    11 May '09 11:42
    Your major blunder was 1.e4
  3. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    11 May '09 11:49
    I have only bothered looking from the exchange of rooks as I presume that is what you are interested in.

With so many pawns left I am not clear that a bishop is an advantage and can see why your opponent swapped.

Certainly, you wasted moves with your king. I am not sure what the plan was. Pushing your pawns so as to be higher up the board tends to be an advantage as a pawn sac can sometimes allow a different pawn to be pushed for victory, so yes, I think you should have pushed them prefereably in a manner that they could be defended by your king and bishop.

Swapping N and B was losing. You would probably have won the g pawn otherwise and been able to sac you B for the last pawn.

A nice long end game is a joy to play. Sadly, I lose or win too many times before getting there.
  4. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 May '09 11:51
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Your major blunder was 1.e4
    This is about as useful as you are...
  5. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 May '09 11:58
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    I have only bothered looking from the exchange of rooks as I presume that is what you are interested in.

With so many pawns left I am not clear that a bishop is an advantage and can see why your opponent swapped.

Certainly, you wasted moves with your king. I am not sure what the plan was. Pushing your pawns so as to be higher up the board tends to ...[text shortened]... nice long end game is a joy to play. Sadly, I lose or win too many times before getting there.
    Thank you for the post... The king moves was the biggest mistake, followed closely with the exchange. Looking at the game now, I can clearly see the bishop becoming stronger with the absence of the pawns. Ah well, next time 🙂 Thanks again!
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    11 May '09 12:42
    Because correspondance chess is boring and only losers play it.
  7. e4
    Moves
    11 May '09 13:403 edits
    Hi Wumpus.

Ran through game just now - don't believe Black's opening but that's
    another story for another day.

Early middle game he had an isolated pawn on an open file (e6).
    You had two Rooks - did you hit the sad pawn. NO.

You swapped Rooks.
    This is not how to play chess.

There was a position where he played Kc7?.
    He should have chopped a Rook. Instead you swapped.

Your Rook was on d2 so it can go to e2 and the other Rook goes
    to e1 - he is tied to that pawn. Very difficult to lose.

It's how the good guys play - stick the draw in their back pocket
    and then go fishing for a win.

Winning it is not a breeze but low graded players hate being
    tied down like that so you tidy up your position wait for a lemon.
    He will most likely start tossing up his pawns.
    (see below)

That pawn on e6 was the difference between the two postitions.
    But a weakness is not a weakness unless it can be attacked.

You swapped Rooks - it can no longer be attacked -it's not a
    weakness.

After that his King got active and the Knight danced rings around the
    Bishop 'cos low graded players know how to handle Knights better
    than do Bishops.
    ( a good game by him in the ending).

Recap:
    If the guy has a weakness in his position DO NOT swap off the piece(s)
    that can attack it.

If defending a position that has a weakness then DO swap off
    his pieces that can attack it. (he should have swapped instead of Kc7).

Knights are better than Bishops in under 1700 games.

Before posting had a quick look at one of your opponent's games.

He'a apt to move to pawns in a careless fashion.
    One loose pawn move here g4? and he lost a well played game.
    (he should have kept the Queens on - his opponent's King was
    a weakness).

8. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    12 May '09 03:142 edits
    looking at just the end game
    36. c4 looses a pawn for white.

perhaps h4 would work, exchanging pawn for pawn one way or another and keeping the material even and working from there.

19. Rxd8 is also not needed. leave your rook on the d-file, perhaps moving your h-rook to d1 or e1 would be better. double up rooks or attack black's isolated e-pawn. by exchanging rooks you let your opponent take control of the d-file and to get it back you had to move your 2nd rook back on the d-file. After the 2nd rook exchange the net result is wasting tempi and having your king still stuck on the back rank instead of pushing it forwards.

So perhaps developing your h-rook to d1 or e1 would be better and if your opponent captures on d2, your king can capture on d2 back whilst moving forwards towards the center.

Knowing me I'd even play 19. g4 and even maybe trying g5 after to bump the knight, then push the h pawn, etc. (start capturing more space)
  9. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    12 May '09 03:40
    I really dont think you had a better position after the trade of the rooks. I would certainly have prefered black in that position.
  10. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    12 May '09 07:46
    Originally posted by Habeascorp

Certainly, you wasted moves with your king. I am not sure what the plan was. Pushing your pawns so as to be higher up the board tends to ...[text shortened]... nice long end game is a joy to play. Sadly, I lose or win too many times before getting there.
    Yes. I agree with you. I think at least two uncalled moves by his king. He should work with his pawns rather than moving his king without protection.
  11. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    12 May '09 13:57
    Thank you very much for the opinions, which I'll definitely take to heart. The swapping of the rooks was a big mistake - I should have attacked. Thank you greenpawn!
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 May '09 19:321 edit

I would've played 11.Rhe1 in the position above, then you have potential tactics after 11...Nbd7 with 12.Bc4.
    Attack! Hammer the open files rather than moving the same pieces 2 or 3 times within the first 12-15 moves & swapping-off.

After 11.Rhe1 0-0 I quite like 12.h3 Nbd7 (presumably) then 13.g4 Rad8 14.Nd4
    To the untrained eye (ie mine) it looks like Black is being threatened to be overrun:

13. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    13 May '09 13:39
    A beautiful plan... and one that might have worked have I spotted it. The one thing that does come out from all these posts is the wrongful moving of the same piece... I need to work on that!!

Thanks!!
  14. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    13 May '09 22:31
    Originally posted by Wumpus
    This is about as useful as you are...
    Tut Tut a personal attack oh dear, how will I sleep tonigh :'( :'( :'(
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '09 23:02
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Tut Tut a personal attack oh dear, how will I sleep tonigh :'( :'( :'(
    i thought you were switching to 1.e4, in memory of the tragic events on Drumossie moor, for it is well known that all Angles morris dance and play 1.d4 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree