1. Joined
    21 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:08
    Hello! Im new to Red Hot Pawn. Looks like a great place to learn and meet good people. Ive bin playing chess on and off for a while and Im really looking to learn this great game really well. I know how the pieces move and the rules but I dont know what to do to advance my game.
    Where do I go from here? I dont know much tactics or much about opening moves. Ive looked at opening moves like English opening but I have no clue why Im doing it or what to do after I open.

Its frustrating. I want to push my self but dont really know where to start. I love this game. Its soooo much fun. The tactics, strategy and the history. Its great. Mabey I need someone to evaluate my game see where I should go from here. Olny problem is I dont think I have much of a game, if any. Well thaknyou and nice to meet you all.
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:42
    Play 20 games and then come back.
    Use 1/0 timebanks so you're not waiting.
  3. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:48
    Play and learn from your mistakes (analyze your games). Get ready to blunder a lot 🙂
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:52
    I'd say that the first step would be to play a few games, concentrate on not giving material away for nothing. Without this first step, everything else is almost pointless!

Once you finish a game look at it again, if you lost it, then look to see what your opponent did to win the game, try and emulate what your opponent did to you by doing it to others.
  5. Kalamazoo, MI
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:53
    IF you are in a populated area try to find a club near you.
  6. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 19:54
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Play 20 games and then come back.
    Use 1/0 timebanks so you're not waiting.
    1/0 timebanks will get you crappy results. If you're new you need to think about your moves. Play 3/7s like a normal person.
  7. Joined
    05 Dec '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 20:40
    as others say, you should try to play some games. if you feel inconfortable and want to read more, i may recommend those lessons: http://www.chesskids.com/lessons04.shtml
    they seems to be targeted for kids, but the material there is very good for any begginer.
  8. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 20:471 edit
    Originally posted by Joe Burgess
    Hello! Im new to Red Hot Pawn. Looks like a great place to learn and meet good people. Ive bin playing chess on and off for a while and Im really looking to learn this great game really well. .
    Develop your pieces (generally don't move your pieces twice in the opening: center pawns, Knights, Bishops, then centralized Rooks, Q generally on second file , castle quickly (as possible) generally, play basic openings, and gambits (for example as white: Smith Morra e4 c5 d4 cd c3 dc Nxc). Learn the ideas behind each move, and basic traps, skewers, forks, discovery attack, the relative value of each piece. Don't trade off pieces without having reason to. Pawn structure isn't of importance right now, and I'd probably recommend learning only basic endgames, and mates, as you probably won't being seeing too many of those early. Learn from your mistakes, how to attack/defend, easier said than done, as you have to recognize them. Make sure all your moves have a purpose Most importantly, have fun! 🙂

Maybe if you post some of your completed games in the forum, some kind soul will properly analyse them.

(Edit: The next person who recommends books, tactical exercises, or memorizing openings to a n00b gets whacked. 😉 Initially, playing the game, and proper post-game analysis is best.)
  9. The sky
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 20:48
    Hello! Im new to Red Hot Pawn. Looks like a great place to learn and meet good people. Ive bin playing chess on and off for a while and Im really looking to learn this great game really well. I know how the pieces move and the rules but I dont know what to do to advance my game.
    Where do I go from here? I dont know much tactics or much about opening mo ...[text shortened]... y problem is I dont think I have much of a game, if any. Well thaknyou and nice to meet you all.
    I used Chessmaster 10th Edition when I started playing, both to play and to go through Josh Waitzkin's Chess Academy, which I think is brilliant for beginners. If you don't want to spend money on it, I am sure you can find a lot of material for free on the internet which explains basic tactics and strategy. For me, learning these things made playing a lot more fun.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 20:581 edit
    Wow fast replys!!Good info. Shold I study anything? Like tactics or a certain opening? And is so wheres a good place to get the info I need. Anyways. Heres a game I just played FICS. Ill post what I was thinking while I was making the moves.

Im white.
    The first 4 moves I did because Ive seen them done. I dont really know why you do them.
    1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5 Nf6 I did Bb5 cause I seen Kasparov do it.
    4.Nc3 Bb4
    5.0-0 0-0
    6.a4 Nd4 I did a4 cause I wanted to protect my bishop
    7.Nxd4 exd4 I have no clue why I did this but it worked out in the end as you will see.
    8.Nd5 Nxe4 I did Nd5 to fork the N and B while my pawn was protecting my N
    9.Nxb4 c5
    10.Re1 Re8 This was to attack the N and take some pressure off my N.
    11.Qf3 d5 I really put pressure on his N so He defends but I think it was a big mistake for him.
    12.Bxe8 Qxe8 I sacd my B because R is worth more points and attacking the e rank.
    13.Nxd5 Qd8 I did this just to take more material. I had no idea it would really help me in the end.
    14.Qxe4 Kf8 After I took e4 to defend aginst his Q I realized I had a possible check mate. He moves Kf8 to defend mate.
    15.Qe7+ Kg8 This was to fork the Q and K. I thought for sure he would take my Q with his. My olny debate was to attack his Q with my N or R. And about my N at d5 that was pure luck that was NOT planned lol.
    16.Qxd8# And that was game. I have no idea why he moved his king back.
  11. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 21:441 edit
    Bb5 indirectly pressures the protector of the e5 pawn (i.e. ...a6 Bxc6 allows Nxe5; however, immediately taking by Nxe5 is not best as Qd4 recovers the pawn and equalizes)

Kasparov is not the best person to imitate for attacking ideas until you understand them (and most don't). Morphy is great for beginners, for attacking ideas, see a few of his games (chessgames.com is good).

6. a4...maybe Re1 or d3 protecting the e pawn when the threat of Bxc6, dxe6 Nxe5 is real; don't see how a4 is particularly necessary to protect your bishop...

7. Nxe5 maybe? 7...Be7 much better...

10. Re1...like the idea but maybe Nd5 better as Nxf2 Kxf2, Nxb4 gets Black a pawn back, but still...

15. Nc7 interesting since Qd8 Qx Rx++ but Bf5 may initiate an exchange.

Congrats on the win; cheers. 🙂
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '04
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 23:011 edit
    Weapons of Chess by Pandolfini or The Winning Chess series are good places to learn the fundamentals.

Chesstactics.org is a free site to learn tactics.

Remember chess is just a game so have fun.
  13. Joined
    21 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 03:46
    Thankyou everyone for the info. Im taking a look at all the sources everyone gave me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree