1. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 03:15
    Lately i've been making REALLY stupid moves. I mean, say, I see my Queen is in danger. Okay. So I move My Knight to attack the center?

=.=

I've lost QUITE a few games this way, can I blame it on my mind being preoccupied?

It's REALLY annoying.

It's really a big emotional downer also. =.= Psychological and all.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 03:22
    Originally posted by azalin76
    Lately i've been making REALLY stupid moves. I mean, say, I see my Queen is in danger. Okay. So I move My Knight to attack the center?

=.=

I've lost QUITE a few games this way, can I blame it on my mind being preoccupied?

It's REALLY annoying.

The condition is called a "brain fart". It effects everyone from time to time. Some actually can fill a hot air balloon with their decisions. Shake it off and have another go at it.
    😕
  3. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 05:363 edits

=.=

It's REALLY annoying.

These things happen to people who are taking medication to lower their cholesterol. I posted about this a couple of years ago, but I doubt anyone will find that post - I can't.

My post went something like this:
    "Ollie and I were playing in a chess tournament and I wandered over to see how he was doing. I saw his opponent had made a knight move threatening to take Ollie's queen and the queen only had 1 square to go to. But Ollie didn't make the obvious move... instead he just sat there staring at the board, thinking...

After a couple of minutes he reached down and castled. The guy took his queen off to which Ollie immediately resigned. So we went to get a bite to eat and I asked Ollie why he did what he did? He told me, "I knew my queen was under attack and had to move it. But as I was thinking deeper into the position I anticipated White's next move and thought that I should then castle. The next thing I knew, I had castled instead of moving my queen first."

So you see, this is a serious problem. After doing a little bit of personal research about it I discovered that many people were becoming "senile" when they took a certain type of medication. The medication that I discovered was causing the problem has been removed from the market because they said it caused 'muscle damage'. I think it caused more than that, I think it caused the person to become senile and I suspect that the replacement medication causes the same problem with the mind.

I'm not a doctor, but what does a person do when their doctor prescribes a drug that makes them senile!?

You can PM me if you want and we can discuss these medications and some possible alternatives.
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 09:52
    Chesslexia or board blindness

I thought I'd win this exchange R for B, totally forgetting about the Nb3!
    Game 3134753
    😳
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 13:401 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Chesslexia or board blindness

I thought I'd win this exchange R for B, totally forgetting about the Nb3!
    Game 3134753
    😳
    Yeeeeeoooouuuucccchhh!!! I hate it when you recognize what has happened at precisely the same moment you get hit by a bus. Much like those times you make the great attacking move that will win you the game, only to realize AFTER you have moved your piece that it is totally unprotected and quickly removed from the board by your opponent, leaving you sobbing uncontrollably in the corner of your room...or mad enough to chew through steel, whichever the case may be. :'(
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 14:25
    I don't think it's a case of Medication.

But, a few hours later I received a pounding headache, which I ALWAYS get when I haven't had very much water.

Maybe I should just drink alot more Water?

😕
  7. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 16:31
    I don't think it's a case of Medication.

But, a few hours later I received a pounding headache, which I ALWAYS get when I haven't had very much water.

Maybe I should just drink alot more Water?

😕
    The medication is Zocor. Everyone I know who has taken 10 mg of Zocor a day has problems with their concentration.
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:08

=.=

It's REALLY annoying.

See Thread 67041 take your time.
  9. Quad Cities, IL
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:37
    Being hydrated improves your ability to concentrate. Since the brain is made up of mostly water, when it lacks water, it does not function as well. And if you are thirsty, it's probably too late. So, drink some water before playing, and you're less likely to make bad moves. I, on the other hand, can drink a gallon and still be perfectly capable of making bad moves.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:03
    Originally posted by UncleRobb
    Being hydrated improves your ability to concentrate. Since the brain is made up of mostly water, when it lacks water, it does not function as well. And if you are thirsty, it's probably too late. So, drink some water before playing, and you're less likely to make bad moves. I, on the other hand, can drink a gallon and still be perfectly capable of making bad moves.
    I enjoy swimming naked with beautiful women while I play chess. The brilliant part of this tactic is if I screw up and make a bad move on the chess board....who cares? 😏
  11. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:17
    I see, I see.

I have yet another question,

Are there any particular "Chess Diets" that can improve your thinking, and the way you play chess?
  12. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:38
    Another question,

How do I find that "Get to 1400" thread? 😕
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:40
    I see, I see.

I have yet another question,

Are there any particular "Chess Diets" that can improve your thinking, and the way you play chess?
    You can try the starvation diet. It has proven to be very motivational. It works like this...if you win your game, you are allowed to eat. If you lose....well....YOU LOSE!!!!!!
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:40
    Another question,

How do I find that "Get to 1400" thread? 😕
    scrool down to the "Get to 1399" thread, and it is next in line.
  15. Joined
    04 Apr '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 18:43
    @.@

As helpful as you are, I hope someone else comes along to help.

😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree