1. Joined
    12 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 10:38
    Got all the Winning Chess series, "How to Reasses Your Chess" and "The Ameteur's Mind". Which one I should read first? To what extent they would help me?
  2. Joined
    04 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '06 11:29
    I think it is a good idea to start with Tactics and stick to it until one reaches 2000 🙂
  3. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 00:10
    "Play Winning Chess" is a good book to start with. Will it help? Of course. A good follow up book might be "Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Cernev. Three things will generally help you improve your game:
    1) Study
    2) Practice (particularly tactics)
    3) Play
    Beyond that, be patient and have fun!
  4. Seattle
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 00:16
    you two (the ones who replied) are idiots. He ask which book out of those two.
    To answer your question: play through the Ametures Mind book first. It is much simpler and the ideas covered will be greatly expanded in his next book
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 00:19
    Originally posted by c guy1
    you two (the ones who replied) are idiots. He ask which book out of those two.
    You are an idiot. The original poster referred to nine books.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 02:59
    1. The Winning Chess Series
    2. Amatuers mind
    3. Reasses you Chess

I read all those books and that is the best way to go for sure!

No point in reading Reasses you Chess first. Won't do much for you or anyone else if they also have these 9 books.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 14:46
    Originally posted by RahimK
    1. The Winning Chess Series
    2. Amatuers mind
    3. Reasses you Chess

I read all those books and that is the best way to go for sure!

No point in reading Reasses you Chess first. Won't do much for you or anyone else if they also have these 9 books.
    This is the correct order. I havn't read all of the Winning Chess series, but it builds a good (and necessary) foundation. The other 2 books cover strategies. I like # 3 better than #2 but most people who have read both find #2 the easier to understand (I am the lone exception).
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '04
    Moves
    21 Sep '06 15:092 edits
    Originally posted by anthias
    Got all the Winning Chess series, "How to Reasses Your Chess" and "The Ameteur's Mind". Which one I should read first? To what extent they would help me?
    Hey gang!

Apparently Jeremy Silman gets asks a lot which of his books should be read first. On his site, he states that he would recommend reading How To Reassess Your Chess(HTYRC) pages 1-52, (I'm working from memory, its page fifty-something - the end of the chapter) in which he describes some endgame theories and looking for imbalances. Then read the Amateur's Mind. Then finish HTRYC. May seem crazy, but don't argue with me, argue with the author.

So. . . Order should be
    Play Winning Chess Series
    HTRYC pg 1 - 52
    Amateur's Mind
    HTRYC pg 53 - End.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree