1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:30
    A long time ago, I bought a massive book filled with chess problems like "white to mate in one" or "white to mate in two," etc. However, in my recent determination to gradually get better at chess, I have begun to wonder which is better for improving my game...looking at scenario problems (white to mate in x moves) or to go back through old games that I have lost?
  2. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:35
    right now I am going through old Master Class games. And going over my own. don't really know how much good it is doing since i just started a couple of weeks ago.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:45
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    A long time ago, I bought a massive book filled with chess problems like "white to mate in one" or "white to mate in two," etc. However, in my recent determination to gradually get better at chess, I have begun to wonder which is better for improving my game...looking at scenario problems (white to mate in x moves) or to go back through old games that I have lost?
    Both!

But instead of going over mate in X problems,

I strongly strongly recommend you solve combinational and tactical puzzles instead of checkmate puzzles.

You can find a great set of them online without solution.

Reinfield 1001 combinations and sacs. The best puzzles I have ever solved.

www.chessville.com, go to downloads and tactics and get them there. The get a chess program and let it solve the problem when you need the solution.

I'm working on them right now, and compared to all the tactical puzzles I've done, this is the best collection in my mind.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 23:23
    About a year ago or so I heard the great Kasparov say on the Charlie Rose show, 'The only way to improve in chess is to analyse one's games.' That may be a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but nevertheless, he did say it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree