1. Joined
    17 Jul '11
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 09:12
    Hello, I'm new to RHP. My opening repotoir is extremely limited and I wanted to know which were some of the more common and useful openings to learn first.

Hope somebody will help
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 11:57
    Originally posted by AussieDave
    Hello, I'm new to RHP. My opening repotoir is extremely limited and I wanted to know which were some of the more common and useful openings to learn first.

Hope somebody will help
    Scotch game as white, kings indian defence as black, or you could try the budapest gambit for some fun.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 12:05
    it doesn't matter. pick one, any one. if you don't like it, try another one.
  4. bedlam
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 12:06

Hope somebody will help
    What's your current repertoire?
    Do you like it?
    Are you new to chess?
    Do you have a rating (grade)?
  5. c6
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 12:52
    Learn boring "correct" stuff first, since it crops up the most. Eventually, you'll learn what types of positions make you happiest, and adapt your repertoire accordingly.
  6. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 13:18

Hope somebody will help
    Once you start down this road there is almost no turning back. You begin to commit more time, and most likely expense, on books, DVDs, tuition, Internet courses, and God knows what else. At this stage it becomes more than a game. You can become haunted by the notion that there may be a bust to your latest pet variation, and you begin to scour the databases in case some obscure master game has found something. Then you subject the positions to deep analysis with several computer engines in an attempt to find the truth of what is going on.
    You voraciously consume books and DVDs about your chosen systems where some well known player glibly hands you a series of moves that will deliver easy glory in your next games. You become scared to move in early positions and fear the things you cannot see. You sense the ghosts and fear the shadows that lurk behind each one of the opponents pieces as they carry out their mysterious dance...

Sometime later you realize that vast tracts of time have wandered out of your life possibly along with wives, girlfriends and significant others, but you can console yourself that your innovation at move 16 of the Riga Variation of the Open Lopez is a winner. Shame no-one will allow it in your games for years.

Go there if you wish but take my advice, never ever reach the stage where you cannot make a move in an opening based on your own assessment and understanding of the position. When you do that you will be playing chess again.
  7. e4
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 13:26
    Rec'd Ragwort.

Try all kinds of different openings. Most obey the laws about developemnt.
    You cannot choose your key openings, they will choose you.
  8. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 16:43
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Once you start down this road there is almost no turning back. You begin to commit more time, and most likely expense, on books, DVDs, tuition, Internet courses, and God knows what else. At this stage it becomes more than a game. You can become haunted by the notion that there may be a bust to your latest pet variation, and you begin to scour the databases i ...[text shortened]... ment and understanding of the position. When you do that you will be playing chess again.
    lol!

when i go to congresses and see a sea of grey hair, frowns and wrinkles, i will think of this post and remember that they were all young once.
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 17:19
    rec'd ragwort.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 17:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    it doesn't matter. pick one, any one. if you don't like it, try another one.
    Rec'd.
  11. Joined
    17 Jul '11
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 19:051 edit
    Originally posted by torten
    What's your current repertoire?
    Do you like it?
    Are you new to chess?
    Do you have a rating (grade)?
    I have a couple of openings that I like but I don't know if they are recognized openings. They're just something I've been doing based on the principles Josh Waitzkin teaches in Chessmaster.

I'm not new to playing chess but I am new to studying it and taking it seriously. I don't have a rating.

I have a million openings to learn from the computer, I'm just looking for somewhere to start.
  12. bedlam
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 19:30
    I have a couple of openings that I like but I don't know if they are recognized openings. They're just something I've been doing based on the principles Josh Waitzkin teaches in Chessmaster.

I'm not new to playing chess but I am new to studying it and taking it seriously. I don't have a rating.

I have a million openings to learn from the computer, I'm just looking for somewhere to start.
    In that case I agree with the guys above,don't bother with openings.

But you're not going to take that advise 🙂

So I'd say as white play the Italian aiming for an Evan's gambit,as black Petroff and Queen's gambit declined Tartakower,Lasker or Tarrasch variation.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 20:14
    Don't play openings... Play chess.
  14. Standard memberDfthd
    Unicorn Equestrain
    New York
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 20:58
    Danish Gambit.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '11 21:26

Hope somebody will help
    1.e4

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree