Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 17 Jul '16 15:50
    White has only two pawns : e4 , f4 and black has only two pawns : e6 , f7 . each king is at his initial square and niether side has minor and major pieces . So which side has stronger pawn structure ( elaborate your choice with reason ) ?๐Ÿ˜•
  2. Subscriber sundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    17 Jul '16 20:39
    I think neither is stronger than the other. White's pawns have more mobility, but Black's structure is solid, with no weaknesses
  3. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    18 Jul '16 14:14
    Do yo mean this position?

4. Subscriber C J Horse
    A stable personality
    18 Jul '16 16:15
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Do yo mean this position?

[fen]rnbqkbnr/5p2/4p3/8/4PP2/8/8/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]
    I think he meant:

[/b]
  5. 18 Jul '16 16:25 / 1 edit
    I have mentioned that neither side has minor nor major pieces i.e no knights , no bishops , no queens , no rooks .C J Horse got it right .
  6. 18 Jul '16 16:47
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    I think he meant:

[fen]4k3/5p2/4p3/8/4PP2/8/8/4K3 w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]
    [/b]
    This position is a draw. The pawn structures do not differ in any meaningful way.

As a general rule pawns are best placed side by side. The weakness of the pawn is in the square directly in front of it. Side by side they protect each others weakness.

White plays Ke2 black plays f6. The position is nearly symmetrical.
  7. 18 Jul '16 19:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    This position is a draw. The pawn structures do not differ in any meaningful way.

As a general rule pawns are best placed side by side. The weakness of the pawn is in the square directly in front of it. Side by side they protect each others weakness.

White plays Ke2 black plays f6. The position is nearly symmetrical.
    It may be a draw if you are playing, but I'm pretty sure I could find a way to lose.
  8. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Jul '16 20:46
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It may be a draw if you are playing, but I'm pretty sure I could find a way to lose.
    That goes without saying, but you did anyway๐Ÿ™‚
  9. 19 Jul '16 13:43
    Thanks for the input .๐Ÿ˜€