White to play and win?

White to play and win?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
16 Apr 09

Is there, in theory, a proof that at the very beginning of a game, there is a move 'White to play and win'?

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
16 Apr 09

no

e4

Moves
16 Apr 09
1 edit

Yes.

Yes clandarkfire is correct, the answer is no.

p

Moves
16 Apr 09

to say such a thing would mean to solve chess. To know every possible outcome/move/combination/variation possible in the entire game of chess starting from move 1. Even then you'd probably find that the game would end in a draw ?

e4

Moves
16 Apr 09

Actually, the quickest mate on the board is in two moves for Black.

1.f3 e5 2.g4 Qh4 mate

It take White 3 moves to administer the same mate

When chess is finally solved, I bet it's a forced win for Black.

R

Moves
16 Apr 09

Originally posted by znsho
Is there, in theory, a proof that at the very beginning of a game, there is a move 'White to play and win'?
Actually in theory there is a proof that chess is either a draw, black win, or white win.

In theory there's a proof. In practice, well, we haven't found it yet.

m

Moves
16 Apr 09

Originally posted by ResigningSoon
Actually in theory there is a proof that chess is either a draw, black win, or white win.

In theory there's a proof. In practice, well, we haven't found it yet.
Lol. In theory there is a proof suggesting that if white only makes knight moves for the first 10 moves of the game, the board explodes.

R

Moves
16 Apr 09

Originally posted by maniacmath13
Lol. In theory there is a proof suggesting that if white only makes knight moves for the first 10 moves of the game, the board explodes.
Been testing out said theory in blitz, So far only my opponents' heads have exploded...

...not disappointed.

FL

Moves
16 Apr 09

In 1939 Weaver Adams wrote a book called "White to Play and Win" in which he claimed that the Bishop's Opening was a forced win for White.

Unfortunately when he played in the US Open the next year, he scored 0.5/4 with White and 4/4 with Black...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaver_W._Adams#White_to_play_and_win_theory

z

Moves
16 Apr 09

Originally posted by pijun
to say such a thing would mean to solve chess. To know every possible outcome/move/combination/variation possible in the entire game of chess starting from move 1. Even then you'd probably find that the game would end in a draw ?
Actually, that's what I meant. Is Chess a draw or, given the first move, can white always win?

z

Moves
16 Apr 09

Originally posted by maniacmath13
Let's put this theory into practise! Yoy cahhlenge me (me as W) and I'll make the first 10 moves with only my knights.

s

Moves
16 Apr 09

Last I read about it, it was going that way... White always wins. They're still calculating though.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
16 Apr 09

Yes, c4! wins for white.

Shhhh.....don't tell anyone.