1. back in business
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 20:13
    sounds nice. well I better stick to cts.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:03
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Wormwood and Jusuh, honeslty would you have found Bg7+?
    heh, well, this is what happened in my head: I saw Qxd4 instantly, as the very first move, flew through the line up to Rxe8+, realized it would be mate if the other rook was off the back rank, jumped to Qxb4 and posted (was in a hurry to leave). all this took less than 5 seconds. after posting, the check catched my eye instantly, I chuckled to myself, and went to edit. I posted the edit less than 15 seconds after the first post, but you had already noticed. 🙂 so I never really got to Bg7+, because I jumped to Qxb4 and stopped there. (Qxb4 wouldn't work even without the check I missed, but I guess that doesn't matter)

but with the Qxd4 line Bg7+ is really really obvious, and I'm quite sure I would never miss that in a game. in bullet or bad time trouble I would've played Qxd4 without even looking at Qxb4 or even up to Bxg7, but after Nxf6+ it's obvious. Bg7+ is the sort of theme cts problems have in abundance.

as a summary: in a slow game I would've noticed Qxb4 doesn't work, jumped back to Qxd4 line and found Bg7+. in a fast game, if there was a refutation as deep as Bg7+, I would have missed it. but I would never miss Bg7+ going down the line.

come to think of it, this problem is a typical cts problem. I'm guessing it would be rated around 1600 there.

rahim, have you played slow games on fics? it would be nice to see how your slow tactics stack against cts on a common rating system. I've started playing 30 30 games there almost daily, but I still do a lot of silly mistakes because of my poor time management (playing bad moves fast 😳 ). but it's getting better all the time.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    heh, well, this is what happened in my head: I saw Qxd4 instantly, as the very first move, flew through the line up to Rxe8+, realized it would be mate if the other rook was off the back rank, jumped to Qxb4 and posted (was in a hurry to leave). all this took less than 5 seconds. after posting, the check catched my eye instantly, I chuckled to myself, and w ...[text shortened]... or time management (playing bad moves fast 😳 ). but it's getting better all the time.
    Fics, I just play a few blitz games while I'm waiting for my TV shows to start.

Besides Rhp, 2 games, I'm mostly reading right now. Almost done the Reasses workbook.

On WCN, for our Univ tournaments in Canada, we played 30 min games. I was board 4 and since it was our first year, we didn't have strong players. Toronto, Quebec all had very good teams, and board 4 for them was 1900 and I was at 1700.

And my rating on there was around 1500-1600, for 30 min games. At our club, fun 30 min games it's 1550 after 100 games but that was before I started taking chess seriously. After that I stopped playing fun games,no blitz, registered for real tourney chess 2 hours each and went from 0-1890ish.

So right now, for 30 min, I should be around 1600 or so for OTB and online probably.

I train for slow chess,slow tactics,rhp using my timebank to plan, not fast chess so the longer the time control, the better I play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree