1. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 13:34
    I didn't play well in this game, but don't want to take anything away from my opponent who outplayed me, and is also close to beating me in our other game. He will definitely be marked down as a bogey player from now on!

Anyway, at this position I was offered a draw, I thought about if for a while and accepted in the end, he just looked too dangerous down the g-file and I was tied to defending g2. What do others think? I think he should have played on, he had two pawns and a knight for the rook too.

Game 2573112

Cheers,
    TG
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    I didn't play well in this game, but don't want to take anything away from my opponent who outplayed me, and is also close to beating me in our other game. He will definitely be marked down as a bogey player from now on!

Anyway, at this position I was offered a draw, I thought about if for a while and accepted in the end, he just looked too dangerous d ...[text shortened]... layed on, he had two pawns and a knight for the rook too.

Game 2573112

Cheers,
    TG
    I'd prefer black :- that pawn structure is to the disadvanage of rooks and to the advantage of knights...

black also has a nice outpost and the intiative.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 13:46
    I think Black is far better. I can't see a good way for White to continue in that position.

Perhaps. 25.Rb2 Qg3 26.Kh1 Nxg2 27.Rxg2 Qxf3
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 13:52
    Yes, I was definitely worried about Qg3 for black, that could have got very ugly unless I played carefully which, judging by my previous moves, would have been unlikely. I remember doing the same a while back, I offered zippyb a draw at a time when I was 1400ish and he was 1700 but I probably had the best position. I'm lucky Haugesund didn't feel more confident!
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 14:07
    I don't think he could make much progress as there's no pawn breaks on the f and h files and you have g2 well covered. You could have pushed your a and c pawns to try to compromise his king's position, so I'd not have accepted the draw offer.
  6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 15:05
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I don't think he could make much progress as there's no pawn breaks on the f and h files and you have g2 well covered. You could have pushed your a and c pawns to try to compromise his king's position, so I'd not have accepted the draw offer.
    Interesting, a different viewpoint. I saw it as any push on the a pawn would have been met with ...a5 I guess, and I thought it looked like he had and c-pawn advances pretty well covered. I thought it would be too hard for me to defend g2 and make a worthwhile attack - wheras he still had his other knight to activate with one already on a fine looking post.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 15:32
    Yes, a different viewpoint. But who are you going to trust - a rabbit who keeps forgetting how the pieces are set up, or one of the Red Hot Pawn Elite, with a rating in the 2000s?
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 16:24
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes, a different viewpoint. But who are you going to trust - a rabbit who keeps forgetting how the pieces are set up, or one of the Red Hot Pawn Elite, with a rating in the 2000s?
    Your profile says you are from Oxford, you wouldn't happen to be a student there?
  9. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 16:31
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I don't know, which one is which? 😉
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 16:49
    Interesting, a different viewpoint. I saw it as any push on the a pawn would have been met with ...a5 I guess, and I thought it looked like he had and c-pawn advances pretty well covered. I thought it would be too hard for me to defend g2 and make a worthwhile attack - wheras he still had his other knight to activate with one already on a fine looking post.
    I've given the position to Crafty-20.14, it assesses it at -1.29 at a search depth of 15 ply. So abstractly this is correct. But you have a rating 200 points higher than your opponent so you are entitled to hope for inaccuracies. After a3 - a4 and a7-a5 (if that is what black does, the assessment drops to near zero if those moves are played) you can push the c-pawn and hope to mess up his king's position as b6-b5 doesn't help him. I have a tendency of looking at positions optimistically, so that I look for things I can do - which is sometimes at the expense of discovering that they are things I can't do. You opponent has an attack, but wouldn't have offerred you a draw if he thought he could prosecute it; to a first approximation a 1,400 player can attack as well as an 1,800 player the real difference tends to be in defensive ability. Even if your attack isn't entirely sound it stands a better chance of success than your opponents because his attack has stalled and he is less likely to defend accurately enough for you to not be able to generate some weaknesses you can whittle away at.

Having said all that I recently turned down a draw offer from the same player in a position that I think is almost dead level, to my irritation he appears to be getting it right and as it's a siege game a draw is enough for him, but not for me. Once it's over I'll post it here (if I remember).
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 17:02
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I've given the position to Crafty-20.14, it assesses it at -1.29 at a search depth of 15 ply.
    I put it into Junior an hour ago, and it analyzes it at -1.53 depth of 21.
    Looking at the top 5 lines. Figured I would let it go for a couple hours while Im working on other machines. I'll post the analsis later today.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 23:54

Anyway, at this position I was offered a draw, I thought about if for a while and accepted in the end, he just looked too dangerous d ...[text shortened]... layed on, he had two pawns and a knight for the rook too.

Game 2573112

Cheers,
    TG
    Black's king is well defended by the structures of the pawn. Unless you sacrifices some of your pawns in exchage for black's, you will have a hard time playing.
  13. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:04
    Depends on the skill level of the player really. In fact all material imbalances with other things that override the material advantage. Low level players tend to not know how to take advantage of their imbalance while high level players pounce.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 01:301 edit
    I like black, that knight is pretty dominant. I don't see any counterplay for white tbh. The pressure down the g file plus the knight on the 6th should give black a win with proper play.

I also assume that a4 would be met with Nb7, and possibly even Na5 following that, when the knight can easily become a factor and stops the a pawn dead in its tracks.
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 02:041 edit
    black is better
    white is practically frozen by the kingside pressure and strong knight, and black can bring up his other knight at his leisure. Once that last piece comes into play, ouch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree