Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 02 May '08 04:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ChessBully911
    there are no "strong players" on RHP. I'd put hard cash on the fact that I'm the strongest player with an account on this site.
    Of course you had to realize you would catch some flack for putting things so bluntly, but at a p1895 rating you do seem to be a strong player.

I try to learn from strong players so I looked at your games. ChessBully911 (great name!) is just getting started, so there is a limited selection, but one thing drew my attention. As I write this you have 8 games that have gone past the first move. In six of those games Black's first move was: 1...e6 (P-K3 old school ). That is a ratio of 75% of games where Black opens 1...e6 (oh yes, one of those games was you as Black). That's wildly at odds with my experience; I think I've seen that opening maybe once or twice. When all these opponents play ...e6, (which I think is weak), does that make it easier to win? Yet you played it, so there must be some value to it.

Best of luck in your future games.

Update: Well there was a thread of several posts when I started typing this, but I'm so slow now it seems to have disappeared??
  2. 02 May '08 04:27
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Of course you had to realize you would catch some flack for putting things so bluntly, but at a p1895 rating you do seem to be a strong player.

I try to learn from strong players so I looked at your games. ChessBully911 (great name!) is just getting started, so there is a limited selection, but one thing drew my attention. As I write this you have 8 ga ...[text shortened]... several posts when I started typing this, but I'm so slow now it seems to have disappeared??
    And you're quoting from what...?
  3. 02 May '08 05:11
    Originally posted by range blasts
    And you're quoting from what...?
    Update: Well there was a thread of several posts when I started typing this, but I'm so slow now it seems to have disappeared??
  4. Standard member SwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    02 May '08 06:06
    When all these opponents play ...e6, (which I think is weak), does that make it easier to win? Yet you played it, so there must be some value to it.
    Why would you think ....e6 is weak?
  5. 02 May '08 08:11
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Why would you think ....e6 is weak?
    Just the fact that he is calling it e6 instead of the French defense shows he knows nothing about it. It's easy to criticize what one doesn't understand.
  6. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    02 May '08 08:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Just the fact that he is calling it e6 instead of the French defense shows he knows nothing about it. It's easy to criticize what one doesn't understand.
    I figured it was a very discreet cheating accusation.
  7. 02 May '08 08:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Not too fast there. 1.d4 e6 is not French. He has played e6 as black against both 1.e4 and 1.d4. How would you call that? I'd call it 1. ... e6.

edit. but I wouldn't call either 'weak' openings.
  8. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    02 May '08 08:48 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Not too fast there. 1.d4 e6 is not French. He has played e6 as black against both 1.e4 and 1.d4. How would you call that? I'd call it 1. ... e6.

Even 1. e4 .. e6 may not be a French as it could transpose into something else although I imagine most of us would regard it as a French until or unless it transposed.

1. ... e6 is certainly not a weak response to 1. e4, although I never play it but it gives a solid black defence that can be difficult to break down. Some of us would say that black is giving up the fight too early and that only 1. ... e5 or 1. ... c5 are the only aggressive winning tries but that is probably grossly unfair to all those strong French players out there.

1. d4 .. e6 is somewhat unusual although my response would probably be 2. e4 transposing to a French but 2. c4 ... Nf6 transposing to an Indian defence would also be a fairly normal response. Therefore I expect to be back in a more "normal" line after move 2.

I don't think calling 1. ... e6 anything or nothing indicates anything about the player involved nor does having a p1900 rating indicate anything other than that we have a reasonably strong club player (although who knows it could be a GM).

Another simple point but I assume that not everyone everywhere will call a French, the French as I assume as in so many things people in some countries call openings by different names (perhaps the French call 1. e4 .. e6 the English and 1. c4 the French )

Mind you User 435454 has been banned but we no longer know if thats for cheating, harrassment or multiple accounts as the "banned player" list has gone.
  9. 02 May '08 09:05
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Mind you User 435454 has been banned but we no longer know if thats for cheating, harrassment or multiple accounts as the "banned player" list has gone.
    I wonder if it was User 299307.
  10. 02 May '08 09:14
    Who's the idiot mod who deleted my thread?
    I woldn't call the mods idiots, not even one of them.

By making them enemies to you, they will become your enemies.
  11. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    02 May '08 09:29 / 2 edits
    (1) Originally posted by Nordlys

(2) Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Who's the idiot mod who deleted my thread?
    (1) Possibly! Similar sort of attitude although I never got a chance to see the posts. Certainly gone PDQ.

(2) None of the mods are idiots. I have a good relationship with most of them so can conclusively state this. If you cultivate a decent relationship with them you will find on your forum posts anyway that if you word things badly and say what you don't really intend (it just comes across wrong) that you are given the benefit of the doubt and have an opportunity to correct things. Of course deliberately antagonistic and insulting posts do not fall into this category as there is no doubt on intentions.
  12. 02 May '08 09:47
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Awww I remember MerchantParkPro.....he still hasnt shown up for that game *sob*
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    02 May '08 09:59
    I first thought it might've been arrakis, after chessbully had sent eight silly pms to me (and by silly I mean arrogant and ignorant), but with this thread I also started thinking it might be MPP. arrakis needed some pushing to lose control, but this one needed no push. he was way gone the second he logged in. what a pathetic loser.

judging by my pms with him, I'd put my money on 3c though.
  14. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    02 May '08 10:14 / 2 edits
    Have read some of his "nice" dialogs with other RHP members. Also checked out his identity and blog. Good evidence that chess skill does not guarantee intelligence.

And seems like that he was also ChessBully911. I wont miss him
  15. 02 May '08 10:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mephisto2

Ah, I assumed it was against e4. If it's against d4, it's still not a weak move. The worst that can happen is that White transposes into a French so you have to know that too. Probably someone who plays 1. ...e6 against d4 doesn't mind.

BTW: Yes, it was a cheating accusation and not too subtle even. But, this is not something to be discussed here.