1. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 11:401 edit
    Dear friends, I'm just doing some read-ups on chess materials and stumbled upon this interesting game. I'd like to share it with you. Don't cheat, don't look it up from a database. Here is it:

OK, I hope I got that right.

OK, it's WHITE TO MOVE. Questions:

Which is better, white or black? Reasons?

Can you guess what's white's move?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:04
    White is in a better position if he plays h4. He defends his bishop then and gives the opportunity to escape with his king if the queen leaves this diagonal. After this move black has to defend or move his queen, what will lead to a material advantage in couple of moves, meaning black will probably lose his bishop or knight with it.
    What if white plays Rd1, that could lead to an interesting game, in which I find it hard to tell who has the advantage.
    Just my thoughts...
    Skinn13
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:33
    Originally posted by Skinn13
    White is in a better position if he plays h4. He defends his bishop then and gives the opportunity to escape with his king if the queen leaves this diagonal. After this move black has to defend or move his queen, what will lead to a material advantage in couple of moves, meaning black will probably lose his bishop or knight with it.
    What if white plays Rd1, ...[text shortened]... sting game, in which I find it hard to tell who has the advantage.
    Just my thoughts...
    Skinn13
    Yeah, that's quite straight-forward, huh? OK, so 1. h4, but now black plays the beautiful 1. ... Qg3!..... see any good reply?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:49
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    Yeah, that's quite straight-forward, huh? OK, so 1. h4, but now black plays the beautiful 1. ... Qg3!..... see any good reply?
    what about 2.Rd1 Rf2 3.Qxf2 Bxf2 4.Rxd5 ? Is this the line you were looking for, or did I miss a good move for black after 2.Rd1 ?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:502 edits
    Well it looks like white is in deep doodoo. No good moves, too many black threats. Obviously can't take the black queen, look folks, free queen! Oops, there is that pesky checkmate.... so any other queen move results in more trouble. White can play KnXpawn + which black has no choice but to take back with the queen which gives white some breathing space at least. After QXkn, white has RxB, KnXR, QXR which certainly relieves the pressure on the first rank. White almost has something else after Knxp+ QxKn, with Q-b5+ but black's Q just arrived at C7 so can go to C6 and now black is back in the drivers seat.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 13:041 edit
    That's a nice game I've been looking through the great master's games recently so i knew the answer,it was played in a simul but the non master put up a fierce resistence.
  7. Seattle
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 13:212 edits
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:081 edit
    Originally posted by Skinn13
    what about 2.Rd1 Rf2 3.Qxf2 Bxf2 4.Rxd5 ? Is this the line you were looking for, or did I miss a good move for black after 2.Rd1 ?
    Wow, Skinn13, you just moved like Mikhail Tal!... Are you pulling my leg? Very good man! The only difference shown in my book is that each white move is given double exclamation marks!

Well, I must be honest, I myself didn't figure out that far. Just goes to show how much more I need to learn. Anyway, for those interested to know what happens after 24. Rxd5, go look up for Tal-Miller, Simul. Los Angeles, 1988. Beautiful game. Very instructive.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:57
    well, after Rd1, which is a move that surely needs to be considered, and seems to be the only move that keeps the advantage to white. I thought Rf2 was the best candidate because it is the only direct way to save your queen. If you give white the opportunity to play Rd3, the game seems over, and after that it isn't that hard I guess to see what are the right moves, not very many variations. Maybe after Rf2 Nxc7 could be considered, but I thought this one was better.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:29
    I don't get it. If 1. h4 doesn't black just take white's queen?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:31
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    no, Nxc7 is checkmate
  12. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 20:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Then Ncx7

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree