1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 May '09 03:21
    Originally posted by Sophy
    I tought about Rxf7, then if a5, the knight can move to c4 or c8 leaving the d undefended, but can he take it ?

Edit : White is back on defensive and is a pawn down for the xexchange, so he should less chances then black here.

It can be terrible if the black rook take some pawns on the second row.
    I assure you that white isn't on the defensive. You are the exchange down and will have to fight for the draw.
  2. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 May '09 20:45
    My analysis told me that black was better, after Rxf7, he is an exchange down for a pawn. (Rook for a pawn and an knight, and all his pieces will play, white's pieces won,t find good place to play, the bishop go the d2 the knight stay on c3 and what about the poor rook on a1.

You can tell me i have to fight for the draw, but it looks to me, that white do not have something good.

A computer could have a good draw on this, but humans are no computer and white position is delicate as the rook on a1 does not play.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 May '09 22:28
    My analysis told me that black was better, after Rxf7, he is an exchange down for a pawn. (Rook for a pawn and an knight, and all his pieces will play, white's pieces won,t find good place to play, the bishop go the d2 the knight stay on c3 and what about the poor rook on a1.

You can tell me i have to fight for the draw, but it looks to me, that white do no ...[text shortened]... his, but humans are no computer and white position is delicate as the rook on a1 does not play.
    White doesn't have much for you to target while you have many wholes in your position, his king is in the center and your "strong knight" is just an illusion since it has to fear an exchange with whites dark bishop or his knight. For example, after 20..Nc8 21.Na4 Rxf7 22.Nc5 and if 22...b6 then 23.axb6 axb6 24.Nd3 and your b6 and c6 pawns are weak and if you ever move one the other becomes really weak and if your c6 pawn falls then your b, e, and d pawns become fatal. So in this ending your pawns are a hinderance instead of an asset. If you don't play b6 then white plays a6 and your position will fall apart just the same. Let rybka play itself a few times and see what happens. White has other options then what I have said here like 21.Ne2 to put a question to your knight or maybe he can try moving his knight over to g4 but that's probably too slow. The point is there is no way an IM won't capitalize on those weaknesses. The ending isn't so much about pieces as it is about weaknesses in your pawn structure because white can gain time by attacking those weaknesses and then, no, your pieces will NOT play they will be grumbling about guard duty.
  4. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 May '09 05:131 edit
    you forget something, after 20.a4 c6, 21.a5 Nc8 22.Na4 rxf7

23.Nc5 does not respond to treat of Rxf2. So i get a pawn for free. You can't on b7 because your position is awfull after Nxc2.

but instead of c6... Which can be good for the draw.

Rxf7 give black sufficient compensation, he has a centre, white has no centre. Before attacking weakness, white has to answer black treat, right after 20. Rxf7, a5 would remove the gard of d6 but since black is treatening f2, white has to answer that. I don,t think I am the one who should fight for the draw. And I don't see holes in my position, it look quite solid, I refuse pawn exchange while white wants to exchange, but can he accomplish a mgaic move, not sure.

White will need to play agaisn't black's centre.

For now, there is no weakness about the pawn structure and developpement still count in the ending. Black peice being active soon and white rook on a1 being not active cause trouble. How will he active it, as, if he don't active, black play with an extra piece.

rybka come at an perpetuel check, but it is with the most precise play, really hard to find over the board, such defensive move are not for everyone. and to tell you, the maneover Na4-c5 is doing nothing more then losing since I have bigger threat then you do...
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 May '09 07:21
    you forget something, after 20.a4 c6, 21.a5 Nc8 22.Na4 rxf7

23.Nc5 does not respond to treat of Rxf2. So i get a pawn for free. You can't on b7 because your position is awfull after Nxc2.

but instead of c6... Which can be good for the draw.

Rxf7 give black sufficient compensation, he has a centre, white has no centre. Before attacking weakness, whi ...[text shortened]... maneover Na4-c5 is doing nothing more then losing since I have bigger threat then you do...
    It was just an example to show how easy it is for white to create a weakness if black isn't careful. I'm not saying that's the best line or the line I would play. I really don't see what threat you are talking about either. White can just play f3, Be3, c3, Kc2-d3 and I don't see what black can do... To get his pawns rolling he has to get rid of that bishop.
  6. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '09 16:461 edit
    I can't stop asking myself, after d5.. Does black has a reasonnable game, no mather what white plan is, and no matter how hard it is.

I heard about the queenside castle then pawn storm but this do not convince me.

Still think black is a little better, the draw can be easy.
    I don't find good plan for white. as there is no weakness in black position and he has centre, white has no centre, we still have 4 pieces each. This can be called a queenless middlegame.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree