1. Joined
    13 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Sep '12 15:24
    I may have seen it over the board too, I do much prefer playing on a tournament board than in 2d
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '12 14:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Mind you, "my old Dutch" does refer to a duchess, not to a Dutch woman. Maybe robbie is just getting his Cokeney slang confused?

Richard
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 17:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 18:56
    No, there is not enough interest in such nonsense. 😏
  5. Joined
    25 Jun '10
    Moves
    08 Sep '12 19:15
    Well, Black should have resign, he was tottely lost !
    Lol
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 14:13
    True, but she's not actually Dutch. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with her being here and playing for my country, but her success, much like Anish Giri's in the men's game, is very little to do with the state of Dutch chess in general. It's pleasant to see, e.g., the Dutch team reach 6th place in the recent Olympiad, but one must be sober and realise that "our" top two boards learned their chess elsewhere.

But enough of that. Should the Dutch Defence's Leningrad Variation be renamed the St Petersburg Variation?

Nah. We didn't change the Russian game to the CCCP opening when that's what they were, did we? No reason to start being politically correct now.

Richard
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 20:59

8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 12:33
    You are correct at that; but I was pointing out that, for all that, her performance under our flag has not urged our government (through the official sports associations, or otherwise) into setting aside more money for chess education; or spurred schools into providing more extra-curricular chess lessons; or made the membership of chess clubs grow. Unfortunately.

Obviously (at least to me), her name shows her Chinese origins.

It's a bit more than that. Our multi-ethnicity goes back further than you seem to realise; someone with a Chinese name could have been of Chinese ancestry, but born, bred, and chess-educated in the Netherlands. She could even have been a fourth generation immigrant at least, although then she'd probably be called Johanna Peng, or some other mixed-language name.
    The problem with believing Peng Zhaoqin to be a boon for Dutch chess life more than superficially is that she was Chinese, in China, when she learned to play, and not of Chinese extraction, in the Netherlands. Thus, her success is pleasant to have, but it was formed in China. We cannot take that glory for ourselves. It's the Chinese system which made her this good, not ours.

Richard
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Sep '12 19:36

10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '12 09:53
    You already know evrything about these chess people. You must be a noisy person. That's women for you. 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree