1. Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    19 Aug '11 14:34
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You are moaning because after you won his Queen he had not moved in your game.
    (if you had looked past your games you would have seen he was not moving
    in a few all other games as well.)

Again you are jumping into the wrong conclusions by not reading CAREFULLY my posts. I said:

And I know he is still active, because he is moving in his other games.

Did you just not see that? How can someone blogging in this website ABOUT CHESS have such a low attention to detail? I am sorry but I was very careful when wording my post to avoid comments like that and not to offend anybody.
    Which is why I did not put the guys nick or a link to the game. Of course some people's curiosity would lead them to try and find that game and start arguing without any real point.

Would you have still moaned if you had not win his Queen and he was taking
    time to consider his move?

Obviously not but at the same time if it was a position that is so obvious and forced and does not warrant thought I would become sceptical of what is going on.

You posted.

"By sitting on the game like that he does not let me play any new games."

This to me and other poster seemed to suggest you want to start a new game
    but cannot because your opponent won't resign or hurry up and get mated.

Then you add in your opinion such a postion did not warrent a 7 day thought.

Leave the lad alone, stop bulllying him in public. He can take as long as likes.

You agreed to the time controls when the game started. End of......

Again I did not bully anyone. I did not use his name or said who he was. I think you have completely missunderstood the nature of my post.
    Regarding time controls I think that's one of the feeblest arguments one can put forward in correspondence chess. I tend to chose reasonable time outs (although that 7 days timebank is something new for me) that allows for some reasonable freedom in movement. After all we are people. However, one can always abuse this system by just dragging it out. Which is what I think is happening here.
    But again perhaps I am wrong.

PS: If you think a "...game like that." has lost all interest then sac back
    your Queen for a minor bit. Have some fun.

Great.
    What I think, is that such behaviour is unfair to other players that start a game with the best intentions. But then again maybe its only me who is having those experiences? This is completely unheard to you?
  2. e4
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:19
    "I am sorry but I was very careful when wording my post "

Not so. You posted.

"...because he is moving in his other games. "

Gving the impression he was not playing only in your game.
    This was not case he did not make moves in two other games.
    You should have worded it to say he has stopped moving in a few games.

"...if it was a position that is so obvious and forced and does not warrant
    thought I would become sceptical of what is going on. "

An obvious move? What move should he have played that was so obvious.

Forced? He had a choice of three squares to go to after the check.
    I can see a valid different reason for choosing any of the three.

"...Sceptical of what is going on."

Just what is it you think is going on?

".....one can always abuse this system by just dragging it out.
    Which is what I think is happening here."

How is not moving in a game an abuse of the system?
    Stating the time controls is not a feeble argument. The time control is.
    3 days a move with a 7 day timebank. You agreed to it the moment you
    played your first move.

If he does not want to move for 3 days then that is up to him.

I know where you are coming from. Ive seen games with the same time control
    and a player with a King and Rook v a Lone King have to wait nearly three
    months till he finally mated his opponent who hoisted a vacation flag when
    finally faced with mate in one.

This is sulking in the first degree (though it does have it's humerous side).
    I'm sure this is not the case here. Though if the lad reads this post he may
    decide that you will have to wait 2.99 days for every move.

(Your opponent is a sub-payer he has the right to pop off for a vacation
    for 36 days without penalty.)

I say again I'm positive this is not going to happen here and the game is
    ticking over nicley since your first posssibly ill timed post.
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:24
    Originally posted by vzografos
    So I am playing this game where I managed to royal fork my opponent early in the game because he was not paying attention.

Now since this happened, a week ago, he hasn't made any further moves. And I know he is still active, because he is moving in his other games.

I mean I really don't get this kind of behaviour...
    I am waiting for him to either mo ...[text shortened]... e that he does not let me play any new games, either.

Sometimes I dont understand people 🙂
    At the moment in time that I type this, it is your move.....
  4. e4
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:48
    🙂

Yeah, hurry up vzografos you are holding up the game.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 10:00
    Go away you annoying little twat

could be the response of some on here

but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    just grow up.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 12:011 edit
    [Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2011.08.20"]
    [Round "RHP Forum Smack talk Olympiad 2011"]
    [White "vzografos"]
    [Black "wolfgang59"]
    [WhiteRating "1200"]
    [BlackRating "2666"]
    [Result "0-1"]

{C99: Aggressive unprovoked defences by black}

1 "Why do people behave like that?"

1.. "Go away you annoying little twat" !? {Battles for control of forum thread. Leads to: 2. "Wtf? Did you just swear at me?" "Oh yeah so I did. I have no arguments whatsoever so I'll just swear instead. " # }

2. "Ehmm....okay...." ?? {Blunder. Leads to 2.. "Could be the response of some on here" (Third person deflection gambit. Grammar not perfect but then again we are talking about primary school here). Better is 2. "Well those who can, do; Those who can't teach primary schools" -= }

2.."Could be the response of some on here"-/=

3. "I think you should show some basic form of courtesy to people who you don't know." {The only reasonable reply by white. Also of interest is 3. "I really feel sorry for the children that you teach" ?! ) }

3.. "but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt" {Combination. Black follows through nicely with the third person deflection gambit/I didnt say that some imaginary person did. I am really a nice guy/Wolfgang attack. Here we can see that White is running out of options. How can you fault someone who gives you the benefit of the doubt and does not call you a twat. 4. "Oh thanks, you are really nice" (4. "Screw you a$$hole" ?? Leads to expulsion from primary school and a ban at RHP)}

4. "Oh thanks you are really nice. Let's play chess" = {White equalises 4.. "I say...Indeed sir."}

4.. "Just grow up" !! {White really didn't expect this reply by Black. White resigns.}

0-1
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 12:10
    Anyhow, I simply suggested that the normal course of action to ANY position is you either PLAY or RESIGN. The position he was in (independent of any blunder or reason he got there in the first place) did, in my opinion, not warrant such a long thought process that it would require 7 days.

I have had experiences in the past that people will walk into a f ...[text shortened]... nd just one move before the end let it time out. It is a behaviour pattern that I find strange.
    However, your opponent obviously thought that the position did merit 7 days of thought and their opinion, when its their move, is all that counts.

As for people letting games timeout there are some that feel a loss to timeout is a false victory for their opponent and not really a loss. Its a weird thought process as it's still a loss. 🙄

I have played people who I have timed out and then in future games had a sarky comment like

"lets see if you can win this one without timing me out"

to which my reply is

"I will win, but it may be by timeout if you fail to play within the time controls agreed"
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    However, your opponent obviously thought that the position did merit 7 days of thought and their opinion, when its their move, is all that counts.

Yeah, you know that's probably what happened. Maybe I overreacted somewhat.
    I mean, to me it still seems strange to spend so much time in a move, which is a no brainer. Especially directly after a large value piece was lost. Add to that the fact that he was moving in SOME (ok?) of his games and my past experience in CC chess, I still cannot figure out why he was going what he was doing.

But all seems well now and the game is under way. Let's hope he plays in reasonable time.

As for people letting games timeout there are some that feel a loss to timeout is a false victory for their opponent and not really a loss. Its a weird thought process as it's still a loss.

Possibly. Personally I don't really care that much for victories or losses or ratings and such. However, a timeout game or worse an intentional timed out game, I think shows a level of immaturity and disrespect to the opponent. On the other hand of course are the normal time outs because something happened. After all we are people with busy schedules 🙂
  9. e4
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 12:481 edit
    [Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2011.08.20"]
    [Round "RHP Forum Smack talk Olympiad 2011"]
    [White "vzografos"]
    [Black "wolfgang59"]
    [WhiteRating "1200"]
    [BlackRating "2666"]
    [Result "0-1"]

That was good. 🙂

Move 2 is a TN!

"...a timeout game or worse an intentional timed out game, I think shows
    a level of immaturity and disrespect to the opponent."

Again I say I think you got it wrong accusing this lad.

Hi Adram.

I don't get it either, perhaps it's akin to players who blame TT for a lose.
    It's not a real excuse is it. You mishandled your clock in as much as you
    mishandled your position.

I know players when losing deliberatly get into TT to try and make their opponent
    join in on the lottery of time scamble. When their flags falls their exucse is
    they lost on time forgetting to add they were also totally busted OTB.

But on here only a fool going into blitz mode when winning.....😳
    (me at least 3 times resulting in 3 draws from + positions.)

The only real excuse for losing any game is your opponent played better than you.
    You can say you played naff which is the same thing.

The most common excuses are:

I lost on time.
    I've never seen that opening before.
    He played an unsound sacrifice which confused me.
    or my favourite. He took me into an ending.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 00:19
    So I am playing this game where I managed to royal fork my opponent early in the game because he was not paying attention.

Now since this happened, a week ago, he hasn't made any further moves. And I know he is still active, because he is moving in his other games.

I am waiting for him to either mo ...[text shortened]... e that he does not let me play any new games, either.

I have given this some more thought (rimshot, please), and I have an idea that might add some perspective for all of us.

When we play OTB and we make a blunder, or even if the game takes on a new and sharply different direction compared to the previous moves, it is often recommended as a good idea to stop and mentally adjust to the changing circumstances, even if that particular move does not require deep thought.

I have even read GM comments where they encourage players to get up and walk around the room to clear one's head, and then come back and look at the board with a clear head and more emotional control than what they had at the moment of the sudden change.

No way to know, really, but it is entirely possible that the other player needed to take the CC equivalent of a "walk around the tournament hall" to clear his head.

It's probably not objectively logical, but humans are like that. And given how much people complain about real and perceived engine use, the fact that you are experiencing a very real human emotional act is definitely a change, even if it's not an entirely welcome one.
  11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 01:151 edit
    OP- Newcomers to CC often complain about this issue. Try googling "dead man's defense". The time controls are a factor in the game and while someone should resign, it is their prerogative.

The solution is to subscribe to RHP so you don't have to worry about DMD games clogging up your available gameload.
  12. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 02:42

I am waiting for him to either move if he wants or resign. Is he expecting to gain something from that? except to frustrate people? By sitting on the game like that he does not let me play any new games, either.

a similar such thingy happens every so often with me...

wait...
    wait a minute...

itz not me-- itz him...

when this happens to me, i take az much time az i need and meditate upon situations over which i have no control...

then i laugh... HA!!!

good luck...
    rookie
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '11
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 09:33
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have even read GM comments where they encourage players to get up and walk around the room to clear one's head, and then come back and look at the board with a clear head and more emotional control than what they had at the moment of the sudden change.

Yes ok possibly. But look what can happen if you try to do that some times.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree