Why do you play at RHP?

Why do you play at RHP?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
17 Oct 12

In light of some of the negativity on this forum, I thought it would be a nice change of pace to get to know you all, in a lighter, more personal thread.

Why did you first start playing at RHP? And why did you decide t stick around?

For me, it started after a supervisor saw me playing chess against a computer at work. He's a real cool and respectable guy, but definetely was a stickler for rules. So imagine my surprise, when instead of a reprimand, he started talking about his love of chess, and other supervisors who played.

He then told me about this site, and said he'd be waiting for me to challenge him. It was fun playing, because I discovered something about my supervisor: as much as he stuck to all the rules at work, he broke one: using work computers to play games. It was kind of fun checking RHP, and seeing he had just moved a minute ago. It was our little secret.

I stopped playing for a while, but decided to come back after my son was born last month. It gave me something to do during the late night hours while feeding/changing him, or rocking him to sleep in my arms. I now have a desire to take chess seriously, and try to get good at it.

So...how about you?

e4

Moves
17 Oct 12

I'm here because I'm here.

Hmmmmm........

"...........but decided to come back after my son was born last month. It gave me
something to do during the late night hours while feeding/changing him, or rocking
him to sleep in my arms."

There is only one person who can feed a one month old baby.
That is the baby's mother.

No wonder you and The Duchess argue so much.
You're a woman. Who else but two woman would keep arguing over nothing. 🙂

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
17 Oct 12

I've been here for 5+ years because I like playing chess and don't have many chances to play otb. A game is available 27/7 here and there is usually someone to talk with in one of the forums.

D

Moves
17 Oct 12
1 edit

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
17 Oct 12
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
If my post is unwanted or unwarranted I apologize in advance.
I for one think you two might settle this like a lady and gentleman in a game with chat.
I often wished I had attempted to settle some of my disputes thusly.
I tend to play better when I have a personal vendetta. 😠 😛

Edit: I see from other posts you are both women. (I love women's chess and actively support the French and Irish women's teams)
Sorry for my sexist assumption that Vivvy was male. 🙁

Cat fight chess, now that would be awesome!! 😛 🙂 😀

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Oct 12

Unfortunately, no one is qualified to read it, because they'd die of old age before they reached the end.

e4

Moves
17 Oct 12

I just knew I would have to put on my tin hat after that post.

Duchess it was a clear joke.

I know V is a bloke, I've done my fair share of feeding from a bottle
at 2 and 3am. I did not play chess (no net then) , I usually brought the
baby back to bed with the bottle and passed him or her over to Mrs GP.

D

Moves
17 Oct 12
2 edits

D

Moves
17 Oct 12

D

Moves
17 Oct 12

rain

Moves
17 Oct 12
5 edits

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't read all the comments before replying to GP, with what was friendly banter. This thread is ruined.

Incredible. Duchess is just intent on arguing and spreading negativity everywhere she can, even on the most harmless of threads.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
17 Oct 12
1 edit

Hey look at my quote in your post, It appears I also love women's chest. 😕
The system made a joke. 🙂

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Oct 12

Whatever you're paying them, raise it! 😛

t

Moves
17 Oct 12

"exegesis"

Do you really think most people know what this means? Can't you just write "critical explanation?"

W
Angler

River City

Moves
17 Oct 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
"exegesis"

Do you really think most people know what this means? Can't you just write "critical explanation?"
Those who do not know what this term means should recognize that they probably should remain outside the conversation. Not everyone has equal competence for every topic. Often it is better to remain silent and let others suspect your ignorance, than to speak out and draw attention to incompetence.

The phrase "critical explanation" is imprecise and only captures a portion of the spirit of exegesis. The term exegesis, on the other hand, is precise and specific. It is the correct term.