1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 18:04
    I play on RHP cos I lol'd at the site name....
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 18:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 18:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 18:56
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I just knew I would have to put on my tin hat after that post.

Duchess it was a clear joke.

I know V is a bloke, I've done my fair share of feeding from a bottle
    at 2 and 3am. I did not play chess (no net then) , I usually brought the
    baby back to bed with the bottle and passed him or her over to Mrs GP.
    does anyone remember laughter?
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 19:232 edits
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Those who do not know what this term means should recognize that they probably should remain outside the conversation. Not everyone has equal competence for every topic. Often it is better to remain silent and let others suspect your ignorance, than to speak out and draw attention to incompetence.

The phrase "critical explanation" is imprecise and only ca ...[text shortened]... egesis. The term exegesis, on the other hand, is precise and specific. It is the correct term.
    Sure its precise. But you could just say critical explanation/interpretation of an English text just as well.

My point is that you should write in a manner consistence with others on the board... not at a level so obviously above the average.
  6. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 19:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    In light of some of the negativity on this forum, I thought it would be a nice change of pace to get to know you all, in a lighter, more personal thread.

Why did you first start playing at RHP? And why did you decide t stick around?

For me, it started after a supervisor saw me playing chess against a computer at work. He's a real cool and respectable ...[text shortened]... I now have a desire to take chess seriously, and try to get good at it.

So...how about you?
    Because I can.
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 20:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    does anyone remember laughter?
    You mean User 560222 ?. His forum posts were over the top... especially the one about you and the sheep with the link to the youtube video. It's a shame they've been removed now.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '12 20:39
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    You mean User 560222 ?. His forum posts were over the top... especially the one about you and the sheep with the link to the youtube video. It's a shame they've been removed now.
    damn moderators curbing personal freedoms and the right to free expression! 😛
  9. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 01:27
    Well this escalated quickly.

In other news, My windshield wipers stopped working in the middle of a storm on I-70 in Indiana for the second time today. When I stopped to replace the fuse(again), I hit a curb and bent the rim on one of the wheels of my trailer and it went flat. Just thought I'd share my misfortune.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 11:34
    Originally posted by vivify
    In light of some of the negativity on this forum, I thought it would be a nice change of pace to get to know you all, in a lighter, more personal thread.

Why did you first start playing at RHP? And why did you decide t stick around?

For me, it started after a supervisor saw me playing chess against a computer at work. He's a real cool and respectable ...[text shortened]... I now have a desire to take chess seriously, and try to get good at it.

So...how about you?
    After I had a kidney failure that caused me to retire a year earlier than I had planned, my only daughter wanted to help me keep my mind active and gave me several little books with various types of word puzzles that she enjoyed doing. I would do a few and never go back to finish the books because I am not much for that kind of thing.

I guess since she knew that I used to enjoy playing chess, she somehow found out about RHP and got me signed up to play. Then is when I became interested in resuming my old hobby.

I was not on here too long before I found out about the Forums and since I am a Christian I decided to check out the Spirituality Forum. I was somewhat disappointed at first that there were so many atheists posting. But after my initial anger at postings of their belief in evolution, which I wanted them to take to the Science Forum, I decided that maybe the Holy Spirit had a purpose for me here.

I posted a little on the Science Forum but seemed to make many of them angry. Then I finally came to the Chess Forum where I was greeted hashly by one of the atheist posters from the Spirituality Forum and everything seemed to go down hill from there. But I know "all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose."
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 11:41
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    My wife used to ask me, jokingly, if I wanted to play chess or chest? And of course, I always picked chest in those days.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 13:06
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Sure its precise. But you could just say critical explanation/interpretation of an English text just as well.

My point is that you should write in a manner consistence with others on the board... not at a level so obviously above the average.
    No. Those terms do not carry the necessary meaning. A postmodern interpretation is not exegesis. Nor is a Marxian reading. Exegesis has a more specific meaning. There is even an academic journal called Exegesis. It is not a hot bed of postcolonial theory.

Your suggestion has a name, too. It's called dumbing down. Pandering is also an appropriate descriptor.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 13:11
    Originally posted by RJHinds

But after my initial anger at postings of their belief in evolution, which I wanted them to take to the Science Forum,

That you recognize evolution as science offers a glimmer of hope. Perhaps you are not a wholly irredeemable troll. Perhaps you are not cut from the same cloth as RBHill.
  14. e4
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 14:12
    "at first that there were so many atheists posting...."

All I am going to say on this matter is that if the world was full of
    atheists there would a lot less hatred and bloodshed.

Back on thread:

I joined RHP because I love being amongst all these atheist chess players. 🙂
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Oct '12 14:44
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    That you recognize evolution as science offers a glimmer of hope. Perhaps you are not a wholly irredeemable troll. Perhaps you are not cut from the same cloth as RBHill.
    I recognize abiogenesis and evolution as false science and not something spiritual. They are stupid ideas that any intelligent person should realize, especially if a redneck like me can see how stupid they are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree