1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 02:32
    This is written under the influence of a 2001 Cabernet Savignon, so I apologize ahead of time if I slur on the keyboard!

I lost a game today (not vino influenced) that should have been a straightforward win, but I had the 2011 Championship and the 1/14 clan league start at the same time, and the game load caught up with me.

That said, my opponent played with great energy and guts in defense, and deservedly won a great rescue. He was proud, and asked me if I would mind if he posted it.

I thought it was a nice touch, his asking, but my immediate answer was "Of course!"

That's what got me to thinking- I am 45, but would I have had the same attitude when I started at 21?

When I started (1987, but didn't play much until 1991), I was young and competitive, and my ego was deeply tied up in every win and loss- and there were more losses. I took every loss as the end of the world, and I was often devastated.

I worked hard, getting my USCF OTB rating to the mid 1800s in 1995, but then got married, and promptly watched my rating hit the floor at 1600.

Now I am older, with a more serious job and two daughters, and I find that my play has a whole new meaning to me.

I have played so many games that the result of any one game has very little meaning to me, unless it has an effect on someone else-as a result, I play clan games and the US Amateur Team South Championship tournament very seriously, but the rest I play for fun.

Winning and losing are still important to me, but far less than they used to be. I have reached the point where a beautiful loss is sometimes more enjoyable to me than a "junk" win where the other guy just choked, and I happened to be the guy playing him.

I suppose my reason for typing this monologue is that I really appreciate this site because of the personalities I have met here. I communicate regularly with a variety of players from all over the world who appreciate the game, and it seems that each person has a unique perspective that adds to my appreciation.

I have long given up the idea that I will ever be the World Champion, but I have developed a very fond and profound appreciation for "going through the motions" anyway!

There is a reason why I play here, when I could play a game against a computer program very easily, without a recurring fee- it is the other people who make the game enjoyable. I have learned to appreciate the moves as much as the result.

I'm done! Insert punch line here!

Paul
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 04:09
    rec'd
  3. Arizona
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 04:46
    ahhh man, I love this place ! 🙂
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 04:55
    Chess, for most of us, is about 2 things: the people and the game. One without the other is unthinkable.
  5. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 07:11
    rec'd
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 21:14
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    This is written under the influence of a 2001 Cabernet Savignon, so I apologize ahead of time if I slur on the keyboard!

I lost a game today (not vino influenced) that should have been a straightforward win, but I had the 2011 Championship and the 1/14 clan league start at the same time, and the game load caught up with me.

That said, my opponent ...[text shortened]... preciate the moves as much as the result.

I'm done! Insert punch line here!

Paul
    Yes, glad to meet you too Paul. 🙂
  7. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    10 Feb '11 21:29
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I have reached the point where a beautiful loss is sometimes more enjoyable to me than a "junk" win where the other guy just choked, and I happened to be the guy playing him.
    Thats the way I've always thought.

My lack of competative spirit is probably why I havn't improved much in 20 years of play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree