Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member hrhpablo
    The Enforcer
    02 Aug '06 07:15
    Game 2297373

Only 2 kings left on the board, but my opponent had to offer me a draw to end the game?

Why?

Have I missed an obscure chess rule, or is this a system error?

hrhpablo!
  2. 02 Aug '06 07:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by hrhpablo
    Game 2297373

Only 2 kings left on the board, but my opponent had to offer me a draw to end the game?

Why?

hrhpablo!
    at RHP you have to claim the draw it is one of the options on the right side of the board. (this includes 3 time repetition)
  3. 02 Aug '06 13:27
    Game 2297373

Why?

hrhpablo!
    The actual relevant Law is given below.

From the FIDE Laws of Chess : -
    http://fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

5.2 b The game is drawn when a position has arisen in which neither player can checkmate the opponent`s king with any series of legal moves. The game is said to end in a `dead position`. This immediately ends the game, provided that the move producing the position was legal.

So the game: hrhpablo v fleshcrafter was an automatic draw after White's 48th move.
  4. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    02 Aug '06 16:01
    Game 2297373

Why?

hrhpablo!
    If you think that's bad, just wait until you lose on time when your opponent doesn't have mating material.
  5. 02 Aug '06 18:52
    Then can't your opponent just do the king dance and annoy you by declining draw offers?
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    02 Aug '06 19:42
    Originally posted by I Falco I
    Then can't your opponent just do the king dance and annoy you by declining draw offers?
    Claim draw.