Why not 1.d4?

Why not 1.d4?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by wormwood
I never play 1.e4 because I hate to play against the ruy, and I never play 1.d4 because I hate the nimzo. 🙂
Oh well, we know it's a matter of taste afterall;
However it seems to me that NimzoIndian is not that hard for the White, at least not that hard as Semi-Slav😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
then play the bishops opening, cuts out all that Ruy Lopez stuff, no need of learning crazy schliemann lines, nor any of that ultra solid petroff defence stuff either! or be bored to death with the Berlin defence! play the London with 1.d4 a la kamsky , no need of giving black the option of hassling your knight!
Ye leggedy beastie I see you too advanced -nice to see ye happy!

Unfortunately this miserable black beetle has quite limited approach; and today under the early mornin sun that killer paubuchmanfrom hhicks (whatta locomotive of a name) killed me within a blink of the eyes, whattapity:'(

Not strange though, natatall -preachers are preachin and killers are killin;

Nothing Holy😵

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
20 Jan 09

then play the bishops opening, cuts out all that Ruy Lopez stuff, no need of learning crazy schliemann lines, nor any of that ultra solid petroff defence stuff either! or be bored to death with the Berlin defence! play the London with 1.d4 a la kamsky , no need of giving black the option of hassling your knight!
no need, I have my trusty 1.f4 which solves everything. 🙂

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
20 Jan 09

i haven't played 1.e4 since 2003 and a friend of mine hasn't done so since 1977.

rc

Moves
20 Jan 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Ye leggedy beastie I see you too advanced -nice to see ye happy!

Unfortunately this miserable black beetle has quite limited approach; and today under the early mornin sun that killer paubuchmanfrom hhicks (whatta locomotive of a name) killed me within a blink of the eyes, whattapity:'(

Not strange though, natatall -preachers are preachin and killers are killin;

Nothing Holy😵
oh beetle my son, he will pay for this irreverent act, i must avenge the honor of my friend and restore the balance of the universe once again.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
20 Jan 09

oh beetle my son, he will pay for this irreverent act, i must avenge the honor of my friend and restore the balance of the universe once again.
Cute!
I started training too in order to anihilate him😵

rc

Moves
20 Jan 09

Cute!
I started training too in order to anihilate him😵
his was a surprise attack, you were probably expecting queens gambit declined when a played the dutch, how tricky and versatile he is! he seems to relish closed games, positionally and tactically he is amazing, where his weakness lies i do not know, for he is well versed in more openings that i could care to mention, not to mention gambits as well, even when one takes him out of book he relishes the opportunity, even he himself is wont to try some unusual lines, even when you converse with him he is not distracted, i dunno, there must be a way!

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
20 Jan 09

his was a surprise attack, you were probably expecting queens gambit declined when a played the dutch, how tricky and versatile he is! he seems to relish closed games, positionally and tactically he is amazing, where his weakness lies i do not know, for he is well versed in more openings that i could care to mention, not to mention gambits as well, e ...[text shortened]... usual lines, even when you converse with him he is not distracted, i dunno, there must be a way!
Of course there is a way: you just have to relax solely when you have him checkmated or resigned😵

rc

Moves
20 Jan 09

Of course there is a way: you just have to relax solely when you have him checkmated or resigned😵
yes to be sure, how do you plan to tackle him, will you play queens gambit, or Sveshnikov Sicilian or perhaps surprise him with Kalashnikov or even the famed Najdorf, or perhaps there are some more profound principles from Dvoretsky that may be applicable, or the book of the void and its principles. i have found to my detriment that he manages to somehow negate all counterplay with subtle and clever prophylactic moves, plus his knowledge of square control is also excellent, perhaps from studying capablanca and such like geniuses.

e4

Moves
21 Jan 09
1 edit

I understand that is you nobble Rybka's book and let it think
for 30 minutes from the initial position then 1.Nf3 is the best move.

It develops a apiece, hits central sqaures, does not weaken the
pawn structure...

By the same reasoning 1.Nc3 must be up there.

I may get corrected on that point because I was informed about
this from another source.

I've always been a 1.e4 player.
It's a bold statement v over 2000 players:

"Come on give me your pet opening, I fear nothing."

(6 moves later I have my head buried in my hands....)

I have dabbled with 1.d4 and have a few good wins with it.
(and a few disasters).

Good Players can play both 1.d4 and 1.e4.
(yes even King Bob - perhaps the best game of the '72 match
was a Queens Gambit with RJF as Whtie - game 6.)

Don't get your heads stuck up your ass about chess openings.
The Middle game is where games are won and the two move trick
is what wins them.

rc

Moves
21 Jan 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34

pawn structure...

this from another sou ...[text shortened]... nings.
is what wins them.
i never knew the king played the queens gambit, must check this out! 72, game six you say, mmmm.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
21 Jan 09

yes to be sure, how do you plan to tackle him, will you play queens gambit, or Sveshnikov Sicilian or perhaps surprise him with Kalashnikov or even the famed Najdorf, or perhaps there are some more profound principles from Dvoretsky that may be applicable, or the book of the void and its principles. i have found to my detriment that he manages to so ...[text shortened]... ge of square control is also excellent, perhaps from studying capablanca and such like geniuses.
I will play him by means of choosing one of my favourite battlefields and I will move towards to the position I am dreaming from the very opening through Geoff's Mirror; I will have him checkmated before conducting my first move and I will play the game reading it from its endgame to that very first move of mine.

Then no favourite battlefield!
Then no dreaming!
Then the reality of each move of mine will overcome his fantasy regarding the reality of my next move!

1.d4 is fine for these White purposes of mine😵

k

washington

Moves
21 Jan 09

I have played e4 d4 c4 and Nf3 I haven't played f4, but to understand chess better at least try each one for a while. It will help you learn which ones you hate so you can narrow it down.

K

Germany

Moves
21 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34

pawn structure...

this from another sou nings.
is what wins them.
I think 1. Nf3 comes on top in a lot of databases. I don't like it though, it gives Black a lot of options and your opponent can choose an opening style of his choosing, be it tactical or positional. 1. Nc3 is not as good because it doesn't stop the central pawns from advancing while 1. Nf3 stops 1... e5 (at least that's what I suppose, my database says 1. Nc3 favors Black).

rc

Moves
21 Jan 09

I will play him by means of choosing one of my favourite battlefields and I will move towards to the position I am dreaming from the very opening through Geoff's Mirror; I will have him checkmated before conducting my first move and I will play the game reading it from its endgame to that very first move of mine.

Then no favourite battlefield!
Then ...[text shortened]... asy regarding the reality of my next move!

1.d4 is fine for these White purposes of mine😵
i think such a conceptual plan will take serious meditation, forethought, planning, reflection and artistry if it is to come to fruition, infact i regard correspondence chess as a form of meditation, in which we must reflect on the battlefield, the moves and their consequences, this is not done on the analysis board, but in our minds, with out imaginative powers and reason. i wish you well beetle dude, for he is a worthy adversary!