1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 23:48
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Because subscribers usually have more than six games, and because they pay for a time based subscription (and usually don't have big gaps between games), there activity is larger than non-subscribers. Hence, the subscribers have a shorter period of being provisional.
    20 games is 20 games, no matter how many ongoing games you have...
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 00:071 edit
    I can tell you it is by far not even. I am collecting skulls since a year. I have 53 skulls. Out of these 53 I have 6 games against subscriber, of which four games are pairs (clan challenge), leaving four subscibing members and 47 non subscribers.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 00:14
    Originally posted by wormwood
    20 games is 20 games, no matter how many ongoing games you have...
    Yes, but I think Aiko is still right that the percentage of subscribers who are provisional is lower than the percentage of non-subscribers. One reason is that many people don't subscribe right away, so they may never be provisional as subscribers. Another reason is that I would expect that subscribers stay longer on average.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 00:19
    I can tell you it is by far not even. I am collecting skulls since a year. I have 53 skulls. Out of these 53 I have 6 games against subscriber, of which four games are pairs (clan challenge), leaving four subscibing members and 47 non subscribers.
    Interesting statistics, but they would tell us more if you'd add how many subs and non-subs you have played, and how many of the games against subs were outside clan challenges, leagues, tournaments, or sieges.
  5. Subscriberriskdoc
    Risk_doc
    Twin Cities
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 17:55
    Originally posted by jkdrummer
    In the open invites I sometimes see, "Subscribers only" Why is that? Are they more serious than the non-subscribers? Reliable?
    Subscribers are also less likely the follow the extremely rude and obnoxious practice of accepting an open invite and then deleting the game! I have have never had a subscriber do this to me but several nonsubscribers have.

That being said, I still do not limit my open invitations to subscribers only. Most nonsubscribers that I have played are generally good sports and having them on the site contributes to the variety of competition. Also, I have played against some nonsubscribers who eventually became subscribers themselves.

I will also generally accept games with provisional rated players because everyone has to start somewhere. The quality of this site continues to improve because more people decide to become subscribers. Being polite to nonsubscribers is a good way to convince them to join this site.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:022 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Subscriberriskdoc
    Risk_doc
    Twin Cities
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:16
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I did this half an hour ago, accepted an open invite, playing white so i said hello how you doing, and the mo fo didnt answer so i deleted immediately, he was waving the star spangled banner so it's not like he didnt understand me.
    Did he make a move without answering your query? Maybe he posted the invite with the intention of coming back later.

IMHO, deleting someone else's posted open invite after accepting is the equivalent to going into a chess club, setting down at someone's table, and then overturning their board because you don't like their manner of play.

Also, I did not realize that chatting while playing on RHP is mandatory.

That being said, if someone greets me at the start of the game, I consider it the polite and proper thing to reply in kind. It is good sportsmanship.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:311 edit

9. Subscriberriskdoc
    Risk_doc
    Twin Cities
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:45
    Well without wanting to soung arrogant, he was rated 700 less than me and i thought id give him the opportunity to play someone better then he, he didnt answer to me when i made my move so i thought, 'sod off!' and i deleted. It's not mandatory to speak, but to not answer is rude, so that cancels out any possible rudeness about deleting an open invite.
    But did he make a move without answering? Maybe he was away from his computer for awhile. After all, this is correspondence chess, not blitz. If you want quick response, go to ICC or FICS or one of the other live chess servers where you can play blitz or quick games.

Also, rudeness is not a good excuse to accept and delete someone else's posted game. If you accepted the game by mistake, notify the opponent (with your reason) and then request that they delete the game. If they refuse, then delete it yourself.
  10. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 18:491 edit

11. The sky
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 19:28
    I did this half an hour ago, accepted an open invite, playing white so i said hello how you doing, and the mo fo didnt answer so i deleted immediately, he was waving the star spangled banner so it's not like he didnt understand me.
    When I started to play here, I didn't know how to chat during a game, and the first time someone said something to me in a game, I simply didn't see it. I know it sounds stupid, but I have found out later that I am not the only one to be so blind. I also sometimes want to write a message, but then I absent-mindedly click the move button after making my move without having written the message. In other words, if someone doesn't reply, it's not necessarily because he/she is an impolite git.
  12. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 19:54
    I occasionally have written a reply in my notebooktypeplacethingy, leaving a polite message to myself for my next move. Nice, of course, but unintended and silly. I bet it happens to other people too.
  13. Belfast
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 16:18
    I occasionally have written a reply in my notebooktypeplacethingy, leaving a polite message to myself for my next move. Nice, of course, but unintended and silly. I bet it happens to other people too.
    For me this is the other way around 🙂
  14. WORK
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 16:24
    How do you tell how many of your games were timeouts.. unless you wrote them down as they happened or did you open up every game in your archive?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree