1. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 12:18
    ...to describe a chess tournament? Or just simply due to tradition?

Thanks

fc
  2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 14:44
    I think the first usage might have been for the first American chess congress of 1857. I can't find any usage of "congress" in contemporary accounts of the earlier London tournament of 1851.

The 1857 American congress was not just a chess tournament, it was also supposed to be a meeting of representatives of chess clubs throughout America to discuss the development of chess and any revisions the rules. In this sense it was truly a "congress", i.e. an assembly of representatives to discuss issues and problems.

See https://archive.org/details/bookoffirstameri00fisk for a digitized version of Fiske's famous book about the first American chess congress
  3. e4
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 16:521 edit
    I think you are correct Fat LAdy.

BTW

This evening (Wednesday 15th January) British Chess Champion David
    Howell will be talking to Simon Mayo on his Drivetime radio programme from
    5.00pm on BBC Radio 2. David is scheduled to crop up at 5.20pm or
    thereabouts, discussing chess in a live interview.

Just about to tune in.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 17:15
    There was a political meme going around for a while:
    http://bootthis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/baboons.jpg

Evidently this isn't true and was invented online for memes.
    It would explain both congress and a chess tournament though.
  5. Subscriberflyingcod
    Berg Katze
    The Edge of Sanity
    Moves
    15 Jan '14 22:14
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think the first usage might have been for the first American chess congress of 1857. I can't find any usage of "congress" in contemporary accounts of the earlier London tournament of 1851.

The 1857 American congress was not just a chess tournament, it was also supposed to be a meeting of representatives of chess clubs throughout America to discuss the ...[text shortened]... eri00fisk for a digitized version of Fiske's famous book about the first American chess congress
    Curiosity quenched. 😀

Cheers

fc
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 10:56
    78 percent of all professional and semirpofessional chess players are secret agents, working mostly for the government, some of them being free lancers.

At the time fat lady mentioned, it was reign of Pinkerton (*National Detective) agency. Hence - congress, because thez considered themselves governmenet employees.

Today there is another term in use - Literary symposium.
  7. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    16 Jan '14 21:09
    Not sure when referring to things of chess.

Sincerely understand and appreciate the term when describing a group of politicians - Group of Baboons!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree