wiki

wiki

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Aug 06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Chess_openings

some nice bit's and pieces there, including a fair few traps.

Might be of help/interest to some people.

J

J

Moves
15 Aug 06
2 edits

Very nice.

Just reading about Gambit: "Former world champion Mikhail Tal, one of the most extraordinary attacking players of the 20th century, once said that he had sacrified a pawn just because "it was in his way"!
"

It's funny, because I was flamed in here for suggesting the exact same thing.

Oh well...

And I've discovered that there are actually way more Gambits than time to ever play them all!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
It's funny, because I was flamed in here for suggesting the exact same thing.
wasn't your idea to throw a knight away in the opening, with no compensation whatsoever? that's not a gambit, that's a losing move, tal or no tal.

or maybe it was someone else?

o
onyx2007

watching you...

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
Mikhail Tal, one of the most extraordinary attacking players of the 20th century
:-)

SS

Moves
15 Aug 06
3 edits

J

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
Dont sac pieces to 'get them out of the way' That's crazy talk! Your opponent could just play for swapping off all the pieces and win the end game.

yep and here was the angry answer... eh eh

G

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
[b]Dont sac pieces to 'get them out of the way' That's crazy talk! Your opponent could just play for swapping off all the pieces and win the end game.

yep and here was the angry answer... eh eh[/b]
http://www.chessville.com/instruction/Openings/Halloween_Gambit/Part_1.htm

Some very nice analysis on this gambit.If you know it well I think you can risk it OTB,CC is a different matter though.

J

Moves
15 Aug 06
3 edits

Originally posted by Gorgar
http://www.chessville.com/instruction/Openings/Halloween_Gambit/Part_1.htm

Some very nice analysis on this gambit.If you know it well I think you can risk it OTB,CC is a different matter though.
wow nice one! So my crazy though actually had a name and had even been studied and all. That's way more constructive than somebody saying "That's crazy talk!"

Just love the idea that somebody tried it, instead of discarding it just because "nobody did it before and it's not studied so it's of no value" kind of attitude.

Its called the halloween gambit: "The name is founded on the fact that players who are for the first time confronted with the surprising and unexpected fourth move of white become so shocked as if they were suddenly confronted with the horror of some scary Halloween mask."

eh eh !

"The Halloween Gambit was already known by Oskar Cordel in 1888 who pointed to the formidable attacking possibilities in his « Fuerher der Eroeffnungstheorie « but concluded that this finally was not worth the sacrifice."

There you go!

Don't get me started or I'll Fuerher der Eroeffnungstheorie you!

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
[b]Dont sac pieces to 'get them out of the way' That's crazy talk! Your opponent could just play for swapping off all the pieces and win the end game.

yep and here was the angry answer... eh eh[/b]
A pawn is not a piece.

c

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
wow nice one! So my crazy though actually had a name and had even been studied and all. That's way more constructive than somebody saying "That's crazy talk!"

Just love the idea that somebody tried it, instead of discarding it just because "nobody did it before and it's not studied so it's of no value" kind of attitude.

Its called the halloween gambit: "Th ...[text shortened]...
There you go!

Don't get me started or I'll Fuerher der Eroeffnungstheorie you!
The halloween gambit is a VERY risky choice, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really know the lines very well.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
15 Aug 06

My friend and I have played the Halloween gambit quite a bit against lower rated players in blitz with great success. We have an ongoing bet that if he plays it in a rated game vs. someone over 1600, he gets 10 bucks.

c

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by !~TONY~!
My friend and I have played the Halloween gambit quite a bit against lower rated players in blitz with great success. We have an ongoing bet that if he plays it in a rated game vs. someone over 1600, he gets 10 bucks.
Hahaha, I should have figured Tony played this 😉. The thing is, being a piece down is never fun, and if you play it in a game where black has enough time to really think then black should be able to hold on to his advantage. I really don't even see what type of compensation white gets for the knight :/.

ET
Phoneless

Friendly Chess Club

Moves
15 Aug 06

Originally posted by Jee
[b]Very nice.

Just reading about Gambit: "Former world champion Mikhail Tal, one of the most extraordinary attacking players of the 20th century, once said that he had sacrified a pawn just because "it was in his way"!
"
It was also said by a grandmaster (name on tip of tongue but lost it at the moment...) that.. if... loose quotes follow... 'Spassky were to offer a piece, then you might as well resign now. If Tal offers you a piece, then accept.....because he might offer yet another piece... followed by another...and then who knows?' (Tal was arrested once, and played his jailkeeper at odds without him ever knowing just who this chess magician was!)
Anyways, I felt I had to chip in on this one!

J

Moves
16 Aug 06

Originally posted by English Tal
It was also said by a grandmaster (name on tip of tongue but lost it at the moment...) that.. if... loose quotes follow... 'Spassky were to offer a piece, then you might as well resign now. If Tal offers you a piece, then accept.....because he might offer yet another piece... followed by another...and then who knows?' (Tal was arrested once, and played h ...[text shortened]... ever knowing just who this chess magician was!)
Anyways, I felt I had to chip in on this one!
eh eh ! I really dig that kind of person