Wimped Out?

Wimped Out?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
29 Nov 08
4 edits

Game 5706981

Was I Right to Accept The Draw?

To be honest apart from e6?! I can't really see much for white here.

Obviously I don't want black's king invading d5, so I figured my only option would have been to sac the pawn and take up residence on e5, but I couldn't find anything convincing afterwards (not that I looked much ๐Ÿ˜ณ).

t

Moves
29 Nov 08
1 edit

I didn't look at the game just the final position, and yes in my opinion you made the correct decision and took the draw intact it looks to me that you have to give up the d4 square and you pretty much slowly lose all your pawns.

Moves
29 Nov 08

Yeah - I don't think you can make progress in the final position. Earlier, however, I think you probably could have.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Nov 08

Absolutely. It´s a siege and you are white so you take the table (well done). I haven´t checked with an engine, so I may have missed something, but:

I think you are losing in the end position, since you can´t move any pawns without losing them and your king is eventually going to be forced to allow blacks king at either the king side pawns or the queen-side pawns.

I think you could have won by advancing the pawns with your king behind them (put the pawn and not your king on d4 on move 38). In that position it´s probably also better to not swap off your last piece (my instinct is 37. Bc5 and then 38. d4). The reason the end position is bad for you is that you have to move something, with the bishop still on you can drop tempi - the downside is that black keeps the knight, but I think you get better chances that way.

Moves
29 Nov 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Diet Coke
Game 5706981

Was I Right to Accept The Draw?

To be honest apart from e6?! I can't really see much for white here.

Obviously I don't want black's king invading d5, so I figured my only option would have been to sac the pawn and take up residence on e5, but I couldn't find anything convincing afterwards (not that I looked much ๐Ÿ˜ณ).
If I knew you would play e6 I wouldn't have offered the draw๐Ÿ˜ต

I offered it because of this line Kc3 Kd5 Kb3 Bxd3 a4 bxa4 Kxa4 Kc6 and then neither one of us can make progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: Actually that line seems to win for me too. Was it right for me to offer the draw๐Ÿ˜•

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Nov 08

Originally posted by KnightStalker47

I offered it because of this line Kc3 Kd5 Kb3 Bxd3 a4 bxa4 Kxa4 Kc3 and then neither one of us can make progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: Actually that line seems to win for me too. Was it right for me to offer the draw๐Ÿ˜•
Hadn´t really considered that. I gave the end position to Crafty and it says 42. Kc3 Kd5 43. Kb3 Bd7 so you should wait before taking the pawn on d3. White´s going to have to concede ground or pawns sooner or later.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
29 Nov 08

Originally posted by KnightStalker47

I offered it because of this line Kc3 Kd5 Kb3 Bxd3 a4 bxa4 Kxa4 Kc6 and then neither one of us can make progress ๐Ÿ™‚

Lucky for me then.๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Amusingly trying to defend my position never crossed my mind.๐Ÿ˜•

I was very lucky I had a resource after ..Ra8, though fairly obovious after a cursory exam, was completely missed by me in my single glance before taking the pawn.๐Ÿ˜›

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
30 Nov 08
2 edits

Actually, I think the final position is a win for black.

For example: 42.Ke3...Kd5
43.d4....Kc4, and white is obviosly lost.

Or: 42.Kc3...Kd5
43.d4...Be6
44.Kd3..Bd7, and whites downfall is that he has to move, and blacks king is coming through with 45...Kc4 or 45...Ke4

However, the winning move you missed was 39.Kd3, followed by d4. You certainly have a forced win after that.