Winboard vs. Arena

Winboard vs. Arena

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

St. Paul, Minnesota

Moves
02 Aug 08
1 edit

Preface...I've just gotten "serious" about chess and am quite a novice.

I've heard lots of people sing Winboard's praises. I've dabbled, emphasis on dabbled....barely dabbled really, with both Winboard & Arena. Arena seems richer to me and more versatile. After about 10 minutes, I could not figure out how to "analyze" games with Winboard, whereas this was a snap for me with Arena.

So, let's hear it, which program do you prefer and why. Btw, I imagine there is a thread on this somewhere...but given this forum's scant searching utility, I didn't even bother to look. So, much obliged if someone could re-direct me if such a thread exists.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Aug 08

Arena incorporates Winboard, as well as UCI. Arena can do everything Winboard is capable of, and more. The only reason to prefer Winboard, that I can see, is if you favor simplicity and limited functions.

I

Moves
02 Aug 08

You also have to be a rocket scientist to install engines in winboard. With Arena it is easy to install new engines. You also have to use polygot to work around uci engines, arena supports both types of engines. If winboard has an edge its with FICS, and being able to play online fairly easy. But in my opinion Babas Chess is superior in that regard.

d

Moves
03 Aug 08

You can also use ChessDB. (google it, it's free.)

D

Moves
04 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by diskamyl
You can also use ChessDB. (google it, it's free.)
ChessDB is a great free database and analysis program. It's what I use to store and analyse my completed games from here. Pretty simple to add new analysis engines but from what I have found it plays best with Crafty.

Not so good if you want to play against engines.

M

St. Paul, Minnesota

Moves
04 Aug 08

Thanks for the input folks. I'm now dabbling with ChessDB too. It does seem quite nice as well!

d

Moves
04 Aug 08

Originally posted by Deece
ChessDB is a great free database and analysis program. It's what I use to store and analyse my completed games from here. Pretty simple to add new analysis engines but from what I have found it plays best with Crafty.

Not so good if you want to play against engines.
just a note, please do not use crafty. There are many better free programs out there, like Toga.

D

Moves
06 Aug 08

just a note, please do not use crafty. There are many better free programs out there, like Toga.
Unfortunately ChessDB only supports the Winboard interface for engines and Toga II only supports the UCI interface. I am about to try using Polyglot to adapt Toga to the winboard interface. For any that are interested I will report back how it goes.

D

Moves
06 Aug 08

OK, the latest stable windows compiled version of ChessDB (3.6.15) that I was using does not support UCI engines but it does work with Toga via polyglot.

Turns out the latest beta version of ChessDB supports UCI engines directly.

Just something to keep in mind should anyone want to try ChessDB.

MR

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Deece
OK, the latest stable windows compiled version of ChessDB (3.6.15) that I was using does not support UCI engines but it does work with Toga via polyglot.

Turns out the latest beta version of ChessDB supports UCI engines directly.

Just something to keep in mind should anyone want to try ChessDB.
Another option is to use the latest version of Scid. It's similar to ChessDB and also supports UCI engines. The distribution actually comes with some version of Toga, along with a couple of other engines. (Yes, diskamyl, Crafty is one of them.)

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/

W
Angler

River City

Moves
06 Aug 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Another option is to use the latest version of Scid. It's similar to ChessDB and also supports UCI engines. The distribution actually comes with some version of Toga, along with a couple of other engines. (Yes, diskamyl, Crafty is one of them.)

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/
As I understand it SCID is no longer maintained, but ChessDB is based upon it, Thus, might we say that ChessDB is the latest version of SCID?

MR

Moves
06 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
As I understand it SCID is no longer maintained, but ChessDB is based upon it, Thus, might we say that ChessDB is the latest version of SCID?
Not quite. The original author of Scid, Shane Hudson, did stop development of Scid. But Pascal Georges decided to continue the development of Scid, and it's still being updated. The latest release of Scid is version 3.6.24 (22 June 2008).

Edit - Hmm, I just noticed that the prior link that I gave to Scid states that the link is out of date, and it directs you to a new Scid Link:

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

(Although both links have the same Scid version to download.) If you're interested in Scid, just bookmark both links to be safe.

MR

Moves
06 Aug 08

Oh, come on, I'm sure Crafty is nearly as good as this obscure free engine, Rybka 2.2n2, just released by Vas! 😏

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22815

(Yes, Diskamyl, it's finally out, wheeee! I'm already running it against several other engines.)