1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 01:401 edit
    Hello all, I just finished game Game 6853688.

I won the game, but my rating went fro 1722 to 1701?
    Is this a bug? If so, how can I report it?

Thanks in advance
  2. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 01:41
    this happen when you are a provisionnal player..

you rating is always reset. Play two play rated 900 and it will get gown again.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 01:44
    How is this rating determined?
    I read in the faq that provisional ratings work differently, but it still doesn't make sense that my rating would go down after winning a game ?!
  4. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 02:19
    The ratings work fine. It's the whole provisional thing. Your ratings won't make any sense and you shouldn't look at them until after 20 games when you get a real rating. I'm not sure how provisional ratings are calculated again.
    The real question is not why you loose rating points when you win a game as a provisional player but why you can be say 1800p after winning a few games.

bottom line is there's nothing to report, just look at your rating in 20 games when the provisional rating is gone.
  5. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '09 03:062 edits
    Originally posted by Ropespierre
    How is this rating determined?
    I read in the faq that provisional ratings work differently, but it still doesn't make sense that my rating would go [b]down
    after winning a game ?![/b]
    Losing rating points for beating much weaker players when your rating is provisional makes perfect sense. It prevents rating inflation.

If you win your first game, your rating will be your opponents rating +200.

If you lose, your rating will be your opponents rating -400.

So if you play a 2400 in your first game, your rating will be 2000 (assuming you lose). And then in the next 19 games you could beat players with a rating of less than 800. If you didn't lose rating points for beating those players you would have a 2000 rating, where is the justice in that?

Here is a link that explains how provisional ratings are calculated.

http://www.playchess.de/rules/rating

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree