1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 01:36
    i was thinking of getting a wooden chess set. i'd want something tournament sized and weighted. but then i thought it would be impractical. i dont have a car to carry it around with me so i could only use it at home. which dosen't make much sense since i rarely have people come over to my place and play. but it would be nice to practice and learn on. i think that wooden weighted pieces on a vinyl board would be more practical. what would you guys suggest?
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 02:10
    Will this board and set be used only in your home, or also at tournaments?
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    11 May '07 02:36
    If you put a few bucks out and get a good quality Staunton set will complement most furniture and you'd be surprised how many people will notice it and want to play a game.
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 03:11
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Will this board and set be used only in your home, or also at tournaments?
    i'm not sure, are you aloud to bring your own chess set to tournaments? even then i still dont have a car to carry it with me. i mean the official size and weight wooden chess set is a bit to big and heavy just to carry it around. so to answer your question it;ll probeblly stay home. thats why im think of getting stuaton pieces with a vinyl board. what do you think?
  5. Tionesta
    Moves
    11 May '07 03:41
    Nothing is as beautiful as a nice set of wooden pieces and a beautiful inlay board. Go with the board; just make sure the squares are large enough. I'm sure you have ingenuity enough to figure a way to carry it. Also it's a great conversation piece. And yes. You can use a wooden board in tournements provided it is compatible with the pieces.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 03:571 edit
    Originally posted by Arrak
    i'm not sure, are you aloud to bring your own chess set to tournaments? even then i still dont have a car to carry it with me. i mean the official size and weight wooden chess set is a bit to big and heavy just to carry it around. so to answer your question it;ll probeblly stay home. thats why im think of getting stuaton pieces with a vinyl board. what do you think?
    For tournaments, usually they expect you to bring your own equipment (board, pieces, clock), at least here in the USA. Most people buy rollup vinyl boards to bring to tournaments, either due to cost, or because they consider it too much of a hassle to lug a full size wooden board around. (I use a rollup board and weighted plastic pieces for tournaments.)

For home use, it really just comes down to your own wishes and desires. A rollup vinyl board and either a weighted plastic set or an inexpensive weighted wooden set won't cost very much and is very practical. On the other hand, if you like the look of wood and have a fat wallet, you might consider a nice wooden board and set for home.

I have a nice wooden board and set at home, but I seldom use it. I couldn't really justify the cost, but I splurged and got it anyway. However, 95 percent of the time, I use a cheap travel analysis set at home, simply because its small size is soooo convenient to use.

A few tips:

Do a lot of shopping before you decide. As you look at more sets and boards, you may think of more questions to ask.

If you decide on a wooden board, remember that most wooden boards don't have the coordinate numbers and letters like the rollup boards do. So if you think you need coordinates on the board, keep this in mind.

Also, if there's a chance that you might use the board in a tournament, make sure the board's squares are regulation size.

Regardless of whether you choose plastic or wooden pieces, I'd recommend that they be heavily weighted. Of course, they should be sized to match the board you're using.

If you decide to enter tournaments, you'll probably also need to get a chess clock, if you don't already have one.
  7. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 03:58
    so most of you are suggesting the wooden board with wood pieces. should i get a regular stuaton or something a bit cool and weird looking? are their any websites out their that sell these type of boards for realtively cheap and any suggestions on which one i should buy? i could spend up to $200. but if i could get something for cheaper that would be great!
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 04:24
    The set design is up to you, but I would only consider a Staunton set. With a Stauntion set, it's easy to distinguish between the different pieces. Plus, the Staunton design is standard equipment for tournaments.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 04:33
    The House of Staunton has a lot of nice Staunton designs. A lot of the stuff may be out of your price target, but it's fun to window shop.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/
  10. Joined
    13 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 May '07 08:21
    i was thinking of getting a wooden chess set. i'd want something tournament sized and weighted. but then i thought it would be impractical. i dont have a car to carry it around with me so i could only use it at home. which dosen't make much sense since i rarely have people come over to my place and play. but it would be nice to practice and learn on. i t ...[text shortened]... wooden weighted pieces on a vinyl board would be more practical. what would you guys suggest?
    I like mahogony, only one woman for me
  11. Dublin
    Moves
    11 May '07 15:12
    should i get a regular stuaton or something a bit cool and weird looking?
    Bear in mind that if you buy a weird looking set, you may not be able to use it at tournaments.
  12. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 May '07 15:371 edit
    I bought my first tournament set about 12 years ago. They were wooden, weighted, Staunton pieces. I bought a vinyl board to go with it. I take the vinyl board to tournaments, and I have wooden board that I use them on at home. Seems the best fix to your problem. Or, for about $40.00 US, you can get a tournament starter kit with a clock, set, roll-up board, and a bag to carry it all in. Then you can use the money you saved to buy a nice Drueke walnut board (provided you have about $200 to spend.
  13. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    11 May '07 16:01
    Maybe get the wooden set and wooden board and then also get a cheap roll-up board you can take to tournaments?
  14. Tionesta
    Moves
    12 May '07 23:59
    Back again. Regulation type pieces are required in tournements. bClocks: Excalibur game time made by Excalibur Electronics inc. is the recognized clock for USCF tournements. That does not mean it is the only clock they accept, but it is the recommended clock It has multiple uses and is very nice and easy to use. It's nice to use a clock in your practice games as there is a prescribed procedure; e.g., you must use the hand you touch your pieces with to start and stop your clock. Also recommend: US Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess. There is scads of information; some of it officially necessary. Play with your clock at every opportunity and get in the habit of recording your moves. Also compulsory. Hope I've been some help.
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 May '07 00:19
    Originally posted by Evil Pawn 666
    Also recommend: US Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess. There is scads of information; some of it officially necessary.
    Except that his country flag is Canada.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree