1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '12 14:21
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    ...and it's over. The position looks drawish but I would have liked to see if Anand could break through the queenside after a3.
    It's over, meaning it's totally even at the end and Anand keeps the title?
  2. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    25 May '12 14:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's over, meaning it's totally even at the end and Anand keeps the title?
    no,still 2 games to be played.Today's a rest day
    26th game 11
    27th rest day
    28th game 12

In case of a tie after 12 games the 29th is another rest day and May 30 they play the tie breaker.
  3. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '12 21:17
    Do they rest on the rest days, or do they book up?
  4. timed out again
    Moves
    25 May '12 21:39
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Do they rest on the rest days, or do they book up?
    The players and their seconds would be preparing for the coming games. That is why you see when one player moves early in the opening, the reply is almost instantaneous.

Every little (preparation-wise) helps.
  5. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 May '12 23:54
    Originally posted by enrico20
    The players and their seconds would be preparing for the coming games. That is why you see when one player moves early in the opening, the reply is almost instantaneous.

Every little (preparation-wise) helps.
    The prep alone must be grueling and then I imagine they lose some sleep with their brain working overtime thinking about tactics and combinations.
  6. timed out again
    Moves
    26 May '12 11:18
    Game 11 underway a Nimzo

7. on your backrank!
    Moves
    26 May '12 14:251 edit
    analysis og game 11 is already available on youtube
    not very deep but ok imo

YouTube
  8. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    26 May '12 19:21
    Drawn.I must admit this is getting ridiculous.

Will Anand pull a rabbit out of his hat in the last game?
  9. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 May '12 03:32
    I don't understand the draw offer by Anand. Wouldn't it have made sense for Anand to at least force Gelfand to play the additional 16 moves with only 13 minutes on the clock even though it's essentially a drawn position? Is that frowned upon in the chess community at that level? Gelfand burnt almost a full hour after Bd7 so I'd think Anand would want to capitalize on that and push for the win on time.
  10. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    27 May '12 05:52
    I don't understand the draw offer by Anand. Wouldn't it have made sense for Anand to at least force Gelfand to play the additional 16 moves with only 13 minutes on the clock even though it's essentially a drawn position? Is that frowned upon in the chess community at that level? Gelfand burnt almost a full hour after Bd7 so I'd think Anand would want to capitalize on that and push for the win on time.
    That makes sense to me but then I don't play at that level.

It could be he just didn't like his position much,but I've come to think Anand is low on confidence due to recent bad results.He simply appears out of shape.For that reason he seems to prefer his chances in the tiebreak.

Or he's banking on his rabbit 😀
  11. timed out again
    Moves
    27 May '12 07:51
    The situation could have been bad for Gelfand if there was a little more juice in the position i.e. with Queens on. A huge advantage on the clock because the other player is out of preparation can be Capitalized at all levels.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 May '12 18:20
    The situation could have been bad for Gelfand if there was a little more juice in the position i.e. with Queens on. A huge advantage on the clock because the other player is out of preparation can be Capitalized at all levels.
    I never understood anything about that game, what kind of chess is it these guys play?
  13. timed out again
    Moves
    27 May '12 18:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I never understood anything about that game, what kind of chess is it these guys play?
    The game was a Nimzo following an earlier game (game 8 or 9) only that Vishy played Bd7 (I would have expected black to play Nbd7 then white to play the standard Qe2, Rd1 so Anand must have had something up his sleeve. he might tell us after the match.)

To quote from Chessbase

Boris Gelfand mulling over Anand's suprise move 8...Bd7

Boris Gelfand appeared to have been caught off-guard on the eighth move with a rare continuation by Anand, who had once again opted for the Nimzo Indian Defence. Gelfand pondered long and hard (for about 50 minutes) on this move, causing a buzz of excitement and many wondered whether the Indian ace had something exciting to unleash from his home preparation. Gelfand appeared troubled, gesticulated nervously and stayed hunched for a long time on the board. Quite clearly the move had rattled him .......
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 May '12 20:381 edit
    The game was a Nimzo following an earlier game (game 8 or 9) only that Vishy played Bd7 (I would have expected black to play Nbd7 then white to play the standard Qe2, Rd1 so Anand must have had something up his sleeve. he might tell us after the match.)

[fen]rnbq1rk1/pp3ppp/4pn2/2p5/1bBP4/2N1PN2/PP3PPP/R1BQ1RK1 b - - 0 8[/fen]

To quote from Chessbase and stayed hunched for a long time on the board. Quite clearly the move had rattled him .......
    the move is not new, it has been played before, but even so, i fail to see its significance
    which justifies spending 50 minutes on it,
  15. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 May '12 21:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the move is not new, it has been played before, but even so, i fail to see its significance
    which justifies spending 50 minutes on it,
    Agreed and Anand should have punished him for it by pushing for the 40 move time control. I'm sure he'll regret that if Gelfand pulls out the win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree