Would it make a difference ?

Would it make a difference ?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
28 Dec 05

If you played chess for money ? I feel I would be more awake than I am now. More concerned about the outcome. Somehow I think the fun of the game would be sucked out of it for me if money entered the picture.

n

Moves
29 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by buckky
If you played chess for money ? I feel I would be more awake than I am now. More concerned about the outcome. Somehow I think the fun of the game would be sucked out of it for me if money entered the picture.
I dunno, i enjoy poker much more when playing for money. I never play for much mind, just a few quid in and winner takes the pot but i just adds some edge to it.

EDIT: although i suppose that is a game of chance opposed to a game of pure skill.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
29 Dec 05

Over the internet, it wouldn't be fair. People would use chess programs. Besides, the money element would take a lot of the fun out of the game. As of now, money in chess is used as incentive for the super-GM's to play in tournaments, although "small" prizes are awarded at smaller chess tournaments.

d

Moves
29 Dec 05

i think money would be a nice idea. the problem of engines pop up, but games could be checked for those types of things for the winning players before the cash prizes are given out to them.

most adult OTB tournaments have cash prizes anyways, as stated above.