1. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:01
    The big chess tournament was taking place at the Plaza in New York. After the first day's competition, many of the winners were sitting around in the foyer of the hotel talking about their matches and bragging about their wonderful play. After a few drinks they started getting louder and louder until finally, the desk clerk couldn't take any more and kicked them out.

The next morning the Manager called the clerk into his office and told him there had been many complaints about his being so rude to the hotel guests....instead of kicking them out, he should have just asked them to be less noisy. The clerk responded, "I'm sorry, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:04
    As a non-fluent speaker of English, I have never understood this joke. I do understand it should resemble "chestnuts boasting in open fire", but what's up with that?
  3. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:15
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    As a non-fluent speaker of English, I have never understood this joke. I do understand it should resemble "chestnuts boasting in open fire", but what's up with that?
    "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" is the first line of the classic Christmas song known as "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire)."
  4. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:171 edit
    not my kind of joke...
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:20
    I just youtubed the Michael Bublé version, and I can see why people can't stand it 😛
  6. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 22:58
    I just youtubed the Michael Bublé version, and I can see why people can't stand it 😛
    There is only one version worth hearing, Nat King Cole's: YouTube
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:01
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    There is only one version worth hearing, Nat King Cole's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_W7p35SzuI
    Awwww... rec'd for the warm Christmas feelings
  8. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 23:59
    Awwww... rec'd for the warm Christmas feelings
    That's better. You don't want Santa to put some lumps of coal in your wooden shoes.
  9. e4
    Moves
    18 Dec '09 11:01
    It must be about time someone came up with a new Christams joke.

That was first seen on here in 2003 and it dates earlier.

That joke even has it's own website.

http://www.thatoldchestnut.com/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree