1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 20:49
    is it just me... i've managed to get up to 1650 on here yet am unable to beat a 1200 on yahoo... not only that, they don't just beat me, they stampede the board and eat my pieces for breakfast... how do they do it?
  2. Happy village
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 20:521 edit
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    is it just me... i've managed to get up to 1650 on here yet am unable to beat a 1200 on yahoo... not only that, they don't just beat me, they stampede the board and eat my pieces for breakfast... how do they do it?
    Why do you even bother to play there? Bad interface, a lot of cheaters... And rating scale is different, 1200 there plays better then 1500 here. Try some specialized site, like fics, chesspark or something else, yahoo chess is just bad I think.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by wakchessdragon
    Why do you even bother to play there? Bad interface, a lot of cheaters... And rating scale is different, 1200 there plays better then 1500 here. Try some specialized site, like fics, chesspark or something else, yahoo chess is just bad I think.
    i think you could have a point... the interface is terrible i have to agree... it takes me about 5 mins just to manage to move the mouse quickly enough to actually click on the forever hopping about "play game" tab
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 21:14
    I find 2000 players on yahoo to be really weak. Or really strong engines.
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 21:37
    i came here from yahoo because it was all just bots or cyber freaks or idiots. i don't think that any real chess is played there any more.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 10:482 edits
    I wouldn't say better, but different. Correspondence is a very different skill to OTB.

You also cannot compare rating systems in different environments, because they are relative scales within the environments they are in. Outside they become meaningless.

EDIT: I am sure there are 1500 players here with more OTB experience who will crush 1200 players on yahoo.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 11:12
    1200 on yahoo is nothing. Yahoo is the weakest chess site on the net. I've played 2100 players who play like pogo 1400's. Then again I've played 1300s who are playing with engines.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 12:52
    Hmm my rating there was always about 1700 which is higher than my rating here...
  9. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 16:48
    I dont think it's something wrong with yahoo. I believe usually people are way better on correspondence games. I speak for myself, i'm really better on correspondence games than blitz or otb (Maybe because I play much more correspondence games). On uchess, wich seems to be from the same company of RHP, my rating is way lower than here (1350 - 1450 here, 1100 - 1200 on uches).
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 17:38
    Originally posted by monteirof
    I dont think it's something wrong with yahoo.
    Aside from the fact that yahoo is not a chess site, and discussions about it seem more appropriate in the General Forum, what else is wrong with yahoo?

I understand that kids using their school's computers for play, when they should be learning math, science, history, and languages, prefer sites that require no software installation. But, most school filters should block yahoo in any case.

If you must play blitz, install the software that makes FICS possible (or learn to use telnet--I think that is still an option there). I finf FICS frustrating most of the time I'm there, but still it is so far superior to yahoo that putting the two in the same sentence seems absurd.
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 19:24
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    [b]Aside from the fact that yahoo is not a chess site
    I think you missed the point here... nobody is asking opinion on good blitz site... or talking about school kids 🙄
  12. BRADFORD, WEST YORKS
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 20:37
    Theres only two types of players on Yahoo, rubbish or rubbish with Fritz.

Renegade
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 21:081 edit
    Originally posted by renegade hotspur
    Theres only two types of players on Yahoo, rubbish or rubbish with Fritz.

Renegade
    and which category are you sugesting I fit in.

ps either way I will be prepared to meet you face to face and play a standard time game with a significant side bet.
  14. BRADFORD, WEST YORKS
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 07:44
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    and which category are you sugesting I fit in.

ps either way I will be prepared to meet you face to face and play a standard time game with a significant side bet.
    No insult intended, yahoo just winds me up. RHP is one of the best sites on the web because of the lack of super programmes like Fritz and chessbase. I played on yahoo for alot of years until it became stupid. I've never come accross you on there, so your the proof of the rule. Looking at your games your a good player, but I will take that challenge.

Renegade
  15. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Nov '07 08:36
    Originally posted by renegade hotspur
    No insult intended, yahoo just winds me up. RHP is one of the best sites on the web because of the lack of super programmes like Fritz and chessbase. I played on yahoo for alot of years until it became stupid. I've never come accross you on there, so your the proof of the rule. Looking at your games your a good player, but I will take that challenge.

Renegade
    I have answered your PM

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree