1. à keke part
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 11:58
    Originally posted by Jakal
    Every chess player is continuously learning about the game. Here are my three pieces of advice.

1) Try to take control of the center (i.e., e4, e5, d4 and d5).
    2) Castle early (get your king away from the center).
    3) Always be mindful of your pawn structure. Pawns love each other's company. Try to have as few pawn islands as possible.

I'm not a Grandmaster, but I think these three basic rules are very important for players at any level.
    i agree...except for the #2....castling is a defensive move... you should not castle early cause the other player will soon know where he or she should attack...
  2. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 12:03
    Originally posted by Nathlowe
    i agree...except for the #2....castling is a defensive move... you should not castle early cause the other player will soon know where he or she should attack...
    I have to disagree with you, Nathlowe!!!!!

Castleing is a very usefull move and sometimes not defensive at all. The main reason for castleing is to bring your King in a safe position and bring the rook in play.

The one thing I always tell my students: If your King is still "trapped" in the middle of the chess board your opponent is spoilt for choices how to attack him: left, right, centre. If you castle your king on either side you eliminate at least one of those options for your opponent.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 14:20
    Originally posted by Alzheimer

Castleing is a very usefull move and sometimes not defensive at all. The main reason for castleing is to bring your King in a safe position and bring the rook in play.

The one thing I always tell my students: If your King is still "trapped" in the middle of the chess board your opponent is spoilt for choice ...[text shortened]... castle your king on either side you eliminate at least one of those options for your opponent.
    castling as a developing move is one of those things beginners have a hard time understanding. because the effect isn't visible until maybe 10 moves later. it builds momentum, while also buying more time (no wasted time dealing with feeble threats against your king). and when you finally launch your well developed attack, that extra momentum will add a heavy iron glove to the normal punch.

goes for all other development moves as well of course.

it'll all seem academic until you're in the middle of a fierce battle, and realize you'd have a crushing attack, if only the opponent didn't have that one single rotten in-between move available, because you didn't tuck your king into safety in time.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '09 14:41
    There are some perfectly viable openings where an early castle is common, such as the King's Indian. The opponent may know where to attack, but an early castle gives plenty of time to build solid defenses and to start an attack on the queenside.
  5. à keke part
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 06:44
    Originally posted by Alzheimer

The one thing I always tell my students: If your King is still "trapped" in the middle of the chess board your opponent is spoilt for choice ...[text shortened]... castle your king on either side you eliminate at least one of those options for your opponent.
    i agree with you....but not with the word "early"....a lot of players don't even castle with white
  6. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 12:202 edits
    i agree with you....but not with the word "early"....a lot of players don't even castle with white
    Ok, the word "early" was probably use wrongly.

BUT why should I get into a bad position only because I "forgot" to castle or I "suddently" realize that I can attack anymore because I am short of a rook to further my attack or because my King is stuck in the middle and I have to defend my King instead of "going for the kill" 😉

Another thing is: Let's say you have two or more line to play. Castling is the best move but other options are quite adequat as well. So you play a different move (not castling) and in a few move you realize that castling would have been the best move and now you regret it!

In the end it is your choice and and of course down to your opening choice. 😏
  7. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 22:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Ok that's it; i keep getting beaten, which as we all know is not polite nor pleasant. So I thought I would attempt to hide my pathetic attempt to glean the best tips from fellow members in this post.

If you were teaching a chess novice, and could only give them 3 pieces of game advice, what would they be?

1)

2)

3)

Thank you🙂
    1. Okay honestly, pawns do NOT control the center, if at all, they aren't there where people think they can simply control the center with tons of pawn moves, it doesn't work that way. Pawns are there to push off your enemies pieces. If you pushed a piece, such as a knight into the corner, it would be a lot weaker, than if you let it stay in the center.

2. Develop your pieces! There is no chess without your pieces... I've seen waaay too many people who move a single piece while their other pieces sit there and do NOTHING!

3. Take your time. Got 45 minutes on the clock? Then if you lose, at least have used 30 minutes, which is not to say if you blunder and drop your queen, you should sit there for 30 minutes, before you move from an inevitable checkmate in 2. In ALL tournament games, there is at least one chance to redeem yourself, so find it, and use it!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree