1. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 21:24
    Given:
    1.) all players on this site have a rating of p1200
    2.) ratings are calculated using formulas used on this site (see FAQ Thread of Help Forum for the formulas) with one exception: players lose no points for losses to players rated 720 points higher than themselves.

Design:
    Most efficient system for one player to achieve a rating of zero.
    What is the minimum number of players required to help one player achieve the rating of zero?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 21:30
    Are you going to attempt this?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 21:45
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    Are you going to attempt this?
    ye, but with my schedule + homework, I wont get to it til this weekend...
  4. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 07:38
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    Given:
    1.) all players on this site have a rating of p1200
    2.) ratings are calculated using formulas used on this site (see FAQ Thread of Help Forum for the formulas) with one exception: players lose no points for losses to players rated 720 points higher than themselves.

Design:
    Most efficient system for one player to achieve a rating of zero.
    What is the minimum number of players required to help one player achieve the rating of zero?
    Minimum number of players to get to 0, given initial players all have 1200 (setting aside provisional status for the moment).

A pair of players with equal rating can theoretically work to get one player's rating down by 360 points (720 difference no longer changes ratings).

So you need one pair of players to get down to 840, two pairs to get to 480, four pairs to get to 120, and one 600 rating player to get to 0. To get the 600 player, you need a pair of 960 players, and thus about four 1200 players. So, you need at minimum 12 players to cooperate for one to reach zero.

I suspect that starting with provisional status would accelerate this process, as you could lose rating points in larger chunks. This is obviously not the most efficient way to reach zero.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Nov '07 02:34
    Originally posted by sven1000
    Minimum number of players to get to 0, given initial players all have 1200 (setting aside provisional status for the moment).

A pair of players with equal rating can theoretically work to get one player's rating down by 360 points (720 difference no longer changes ratings).

So you need one pair of players to get down to 840, two pairs to get to 480, ...[text shortened]... se rating points in larger chunks. This is obviously not the most efficient way to reach zero.
    good! it may not be right, but it may be... and it's a start anyway...
    I'll try to post the formulas tomorrow, that should make all of this a bit easier...
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Nov '07 16:03
    good! it may not be right, but it may be... and it's a start anyway...
    I'll try to post the formulas tomorrow, that should make all of this a bit easier...
    In reality it has been shown that if you attempt that, you will be booted from the site. The last one was GOME, removed on the (b) rule.
    However, take a look at the games, they were all self help games, don't forget, when you design games for one player to go down, the other player goes up and the mods did not like GOME doing that and axed him.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 00:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In reality it has been shown that if you attempt that, you will be booted from the site. The last one was GOME, removed on the (b) rule.
    However, take a look at the games, they were all self help games, don't forget, when you design games for one player to go down, the other player goes up and the mods did not like GOME doing that and axed him.
    I'm posing the question as a mathematical problem, not to be put into practice.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Nov '07 16:53
    I know, I was just pointing out what would happen if anyone actually thought they would like to try it.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Nov '07 16:38
    You said above that you were going to attempt it.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '07 02:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You said above that you were going to attempt it.
    oh oh oh oh!
    I see now, when what's-his/her-face said are you going to attempt it, I interpreted it as " are you going to try to solve it"
    my mistake!
    no, I will not be trying to hit zero for obvious reasons. but in my free time, I'll try to solve the problem I gave!
    apologies for confusion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree