Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

  1. Standard member celticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    02 Feb '06 18:36 / 1 edit
    RHP CHOSE Cup 'A' .

    STAGE 2 OF Puzzle

    I now raise cup 'B' to show the ball isnt underneath that cup.(bear in mind I actuall know which cup has the ball)


    You now have a second chance to choose where tha ball is hidded.

    You are allowed to change your mind.But you dont have to.

    Do you stick with cup 'A' or switch to cup 'C' ?

    Stay with 'A' or switch to 'C'.
  2. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    02 Feb '06 18:57
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    RHP CHOSE Cup 'A' .

    STAGE 2 OF Puzzle

    I now raise cup 'B' to show the ball isnt underneath that cup.(bear in mind I actuall know which cup has the ball)


    You now have a second chance to choose where tha ball is hidded.

    You are allowed to change your mind.But you dont have to.

    Do you stick with cup 'A' or switch to cup 'C' ?

    Stay with 'A' or switch to 'C'.
    Switch to C. The odds are 2/3 that the ball is under cup C, and only 1/3 that you picked right in the first place and it's under cup A.

    Let's make a deal!
  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    02 Feb '06 19:47
    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.monty.hall.html
  4. Standard member celticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    02 Feb '06 19:50
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.monty.hall.html
    lol


    ok.

    Game over.
  5. 02 Feb '06 23:55
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    lol


    ok.

    Game over.
    Everyone knew it was a Monty Hall. Why didn1t you post the whole thing or didn't post at all?

    Like I said, you must assume that:
    a)It is part of the rules that you must lift one cup.
    b)You won't lift the cup with the ball.
  6. Standard member celticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    03 Feb '06 09:27
    Originally posted by fetofs
    Everyone knew it was a Monty Hall. Why didn1t you post the whole thing or didn't post at all?

    Like I said, you must assume that:
    a)It is part of the rules that you must lift one cup.
    b)You won't lift the cup with the ball.
    i didnt realize it was a well know one.
  7. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    05 Feb '06 13:17
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    i didnt realize it was a well know one.
    It kept mathematicians busy for several years...
  8. Standard member Bowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    05 Feb '06 14:39
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    It kept mathematicians busy for several years...
    Half of them got it wrong.
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Feb '06 15:31
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    Half of them got it wrong.
    Here is a Java animation of the problem, I tried it, if you switch
    you really do win more often.
    http://people.hofstra.edu/staff/steven_r_costenoble/MontyHall/MontyHallSim.html