1. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    1416
    27 Jul '07 17:53

    White #2
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    27 Jul '07 20:121 edit
    nice

    Qc5!

    if Kc7 then Nb5++
    if Ke5 then Re8++

    and Ba3 if king takes queen
  3. Joined
    06 Feb '06
    Moves
    6053
    28 Jul '07 13:41
    After 1. ..., Ke5 you can also play 2. Bf4++
  4. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    25 Jan '08 20:49
    Good problem. Although there are some great puzzles on here, there aren't many chess mates. I suppose I'd better start.
    😛

    -+
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    17881
    26 Jan '08 08:10
    Originally posted by ares3
    Good problem. Although there are some great puzzles on here, there aren't many chess mates. I suppose I'd better start.
    😛
    [fen]7k/p4pR1/1p5p/3p1r2/4n3/P5NP/1P4P1/6K1[/fen]
    -+
    unless i'm missing something...? Nxf5 protects the white rook from recapture
  6. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 10:43
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    unless i'm missing something...? Nxf5 protects the white rook from recapture
    Sorry, I missed out that it is Black to move.
    And win.
    -+
  7. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    17881
    26 Jan '08 12:28
    i'm not sure why because i can't work out the ending for certain, but my gut tells me it's ...d4 aiming for a pawn promotion. but after Nxf5..d3 Kf1..d2 Ke1 the pawn doesn't get through. clearly ...Kg7 fails to Nxf5+, and ...Nxg3 Rxg3 gains nothing. is it possible that ..Rf6 provides enough protection to get the pawn promoted? or is Rg4?! enough attack to compensate. i'd love to know, but am too much an amateur 🙂
  8. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    i'm not sure why because i can't work out the ending for certain, but my gut tells me it's ...d4 aiming for a pawn promotion. but after Nxf5..d3 Kf1..d2 Ke1 the pawn doesn't get through. clearly ...Kg7 fails to Nxf5+, and ...Nxg3 Rxg3 gains nothing. is it possible that ..Rf6 provides enough protection to get the pawn promoted? or is Rg4?! enough attack to compensate. i'd love to know, but am too much an amateur 🙂
    Don't knock yourself, Aethereal. Your analysis is mostly fine except with the Pd2, Ke1 is not possible. Also, after Nxf5 d3, Rxf7 followed by Ne3 protects the queening square.
    Good idea, but unfortunately not the right one. 😉
  9. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    17881
    26 Jan '08 12:45
    Originally posted by ares3
    Don't knock yourself, Aethereal. Your analysis is mostly fine except with the Pd2, Ke1 is not possible. Also, after Nxf5 d3, Rxf7 followed by Ne3 protects the queening square.
    Good idea, but unfortunately not the right one. 😉
    thanks ares - yeah i definitely meant ..d2 Ke2, but same idea - no good for black's pawn.
  10. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 12:49
    Originally posted by Aetherael
    thanks ares - yeah i definitely meant ..d2 Ke2, but same idea - no good for black's pawn.
    🙂 The solution starts with quite a quiet move. But a strong one!
  11. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 13:00


    Previously was Bh6 Kf8. White actually played Be3, but was there something better? A tough one here.
    +-
  12. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 13:37
    Alright, I've relocated these puzzles to my thread now.
    Anyone welcome, of course.😀
  13. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    696
    26 Jan '08 15:08
    Rf4?
  14. Joined
    13 Jan '08
    Moves
    550
    26 Jan '08 15:14
    Nope.
  15. Sigulda, Latvia
    Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    4048
    26 Jan '08 15:301 edit
    Originally posted by ares3
    [fen]r1bq1k1r/2p1n1bp/p4ppB/np1Np3/4P3/1B3N2/PPP2PPP/R2QK2R[/fen]

    Previously was Bh6 Kf8. White actually played Be3, but was there something better? A tough one here.
    +-
    I'd play 1. Nb6
Back to Top