1. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 20:57
    Three switches outside a windowless room are connected to three light bulbs inside the room. How can you determine which switch is connected to which bulb if you are only allowed to enter the room once?
  2. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    12 Aug '12 15:33
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    Three switches outside a windowless room are connected to three light bulbs inside the room. How can you determine which switch is connected to which bulb if you are only allowed to enter the room once?
    Are they LED's?

This puzzle isn't going to make sense in 20 years 🙂
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Aug '12 18:46
    Originally posted by forkedknight
    Are they LED's?

This puzzle isn't going to make sense in 20 years 🙂
    nope, incandescent bulbs
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Aug '12 04:24
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    Reveal Hidden Content
    Leave the left switch on for an hour. Turn it off and turn the middle one on. Enter the room. The hot bulb is connected to the left switch, the lit bulb is connected to the middle switch, etc.
  5. Joined
    12 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 Aug '12 04:35
    I guess it would be possible to trace each wire with your hands by walking through the window with a hand tracing two of the wires and using the rules of elimination to figure out the other light bulb and switch.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Aug '12 01:22
    Originally posted by Jono3000
    I guess it would be possible to trace each wire with your hands by walking through the window with a hand tracing two of the wires and using the rules of elimination to figure out the other light bulb and switch.
    There is no window.
  7. Joined
    21 Jul '12
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 02:09
    Turn one switch on After a half hour turn it off and turn another on. Then go in the room. One bulb will be on, corresponding to the switch you just turned on. There will be two bulbs turned off; but one of them will be warm, corresponding to the switch you turned on for a half hour. The cold one will correspond to the switch that was never turned on.
  8. Standard memberforkedknight
    Defend the Universe
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 19:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    nope, incandescent bulbs
    Now solve for LED's
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 05:08
    Now solve for LED's
    Take a sledge hammer to the sheetrock. Trace wiring. This solves without even entering the room. 😏
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    23 Sep '12 04:40
    Now solve for LED's
    Same as Jayteedee's except you turn one on and wait till it burns out? then before going in turn one of the other two on. Can you tell if an LED bulb is burned out? I mean besides it doesn't give any light. If not I guess you could take some kind of meter in there or something
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 00:48
    LED

Turn the left switch on and leave it for a few days.

When you come back turn the middle switch on

Enter room

Dim light belongs to the left switch

Bright one to the middle etc
  12. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    26 Sep '12 15:231 edit
    Enter the room, replace the leds with bulbs of 3 known different resistances, noting the positions

Exit the room and take apart the switches, then use a multimeter to determine which switch is connected to which bulb.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '12 13:30
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Enter the room, replace the leds with bulbs of 3 known different resistances, noting the positions

Exit the room and take apart the switches, then use a multimeter to determine which switch is connected to which bulb.
    A proper geek's solution. I salute you, sir.

Richard
  14. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 13:18
    Find someone else to stand outside the room and turn each switch on and off in an agreed order while you watch the bulbs from inside the room.
  15. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 08:58
    Put one switch on. Wait 5 minutes and put another switch on.

The bulb that is out will be the switch that is off, the bulb that is hot will
    be the first switch you put on and the bulb that is cooler will be the last
    switch put on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree