A chess tournament

A chess tournament

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
26 Apr 03

A group of 2p people get together to play a chess tournament. In the first round, each person is saddled with exactly one game, so that p games are played. In how many different ways may this be done? Can you give a rigourous proof of your answer?

S
BentnevolentDictater

x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415

Moves
26 Apr 03

No clue on the problem. A feeling that it would be a series that somehow iterates on 3 because of that being the number of valid types of endings to a chess game? Just wanted to congratulate you on your star. Like the fractal too.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
26 Apr 03

Originally posted by StarValleyWy
No clue on the problem. A feeling that it would be a series that somehow iterates on 3 because of that being the number of valid types of endings to a chess game? Just wanted to congratulate you on your star. Like the fractal too.
The problem can be solved combinatorially if I had phrased it properly. When I say 'how many first rounds' I mean how many pairings are possible fro 2n players. Thank you for you congratulating me. I like the fractal too; you have good taste in computer-generated approximations to mathematical models of chaotic phenomena resulting from simple algebra 😉. Now if I can find a picture of myself that is not ASCII-ugly, I will put it in my profile 😉.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
26 Apr 03

Originally posted by royalchicken
The problem can be solved combinatorially if I had phrased it properly. When I say 'how many first rounds' I mean how many pairings are possible fro 2n players. Thank you for you congratulating me. I like the fractal too; you have good taste in computer-generated approximations to mathematical models of chaotic phenomena resulting from simple algeb ...[text shortened]... . Now if I can find a picture of myself that is not ASCII-ugly, I will put it in my profile 😉.
You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the progression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?

t

Moves
26 Apr 03

Originally posted by bbarr
You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the progression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?
Why can't he ?

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
26 Apr 03
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the ...[text shortened]... ression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?
No; I'm asking for how many different sets of first-round games there can be, given that p games must be played, each player plays exactly once, and each player can either be black or white.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
26 Apr 03
3 edits

Originally posted by royalchicken
No; I'm asking for how many different sets of first-round games there can be, given that n games must be played, each player plays exactly once, and each player can either be black or white.
the total number of possible pairings is 2(2p-1)-i think...hey-i'm bored and i can't be bothered thinking much justnow...😕