1. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Joined
    29 Nov '02
    Moves
    17317
    26 Apr '03 00:26
    A group of 2p people get together to play a chess tournament. In the first round, each person is saddled with exactly one game, so that p games are played. In how many different ways may this be done? Can you give a rigourous proof of your answer?
  2. Standard memberStarValleyWy
    BentnevolentDictater
    x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415
    Joined
    26 Jan '03
    Moves
    1644
    26 Apr '03 01:32
    No clue on the problem. A feeling that it would be a series that somehow iterates on 3 because of that being the number of valid types of endings to a chess game? Just wanted to congratulate you on your star. Like the fractal too.
  3. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Joined
    29 Nov '02
    Moves
    17317
    26 Apr '03 01:36
    Originally posted by StarValleyWy
    No clue on the problem. A feeling that it would be a series that somehow iterates on 3 because of that being the number of valid types of endings to a chess game? Just wanted to congratulate you on your star. Like the fractal too.
    The problem can be solved combinatorially if I had phrased it properly. When I say 'how many first rounds' I mean how many pairings are possible fro 2n players. Thank you for you congratulating me. I like the fractal too; you have good taste in computer-generated approximations to mathematical models of chaotic phenomena resulting from simple algebra 😉. Now if I can find a picture of myself that is not ASCII-ugly, I will put it in my profile 😉.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Joined
    14 Jun '02
    Moves
    17381
    26 Apr '03 03:58
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    The problem can be solved combinatorially if I had phrased it properly. When I say 'how many first rounds' I mean how many pairings are possible fro 2n players. Thank you for you congratulating me. I like the fractal too; you have good taste in computer-generated approximations to mathematical models of chaotic phenomena resulting from simple algeb ...[text shortened]... . Now if I can find a picture of myself that is not ASCII-ugly, I will put it in my profile 😉.
    You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the progression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    75473
    26 Apr '03 04:40
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the progression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?
    Why can't he ?
  6. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Joined
    29 Nov '02
    Moves
    17317
    26 Apr '03 19:291 edit
    Originally posted by bbarr
    You can't mean how many possible first-round pairings are there from a pool with 2n contestants. Are you asking for a function that maps from the number of contestants to the number of unique final tournament tables (i.e., tables showing the ...[text shortened]... ression from the first round of the tournament to its conclusion)?
    No; I'm asking for how many different sets of first-round games there can be, given that p games must be played, each player plays exactly once, and each player can either be black or white.
  7. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Joined
    12 Mar '02
    Moves
    15128
    26 Apr '03 19:423 edits
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    No; I'm asking for how many different sets of first-round games there can be, given that n games must be played, each player plays exactly once, and each player can either be black or white.
    the total number of possible pairings is 2(2p-1)-i think...hey-i'm bored and i can't be bothered thinking much justnow...😕
Back to Top