1. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:26
    A man is moving toward the centre of a field. He cannot quite see the centre, and starts to speed up until he can see the centre. He realises he is going to die when he reaches the centre, but instead of turning back, he carries on speeding up, heading further toward the centre of the field. He gets to the centre, and instantly he dies.

Explain.

(I think there's only one answer)
  2. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 19:48
    It's the gravitational field of a black hole?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 21:331 edit
    Originally posted by agryson
    It's the gravitational field of a black hole?
    He wouldn't instantly die coming into a black hole. Time slows down just like it does when you are in a ship in space close to the speed of light, so he could decend a ways in and only die when the gravitational gradient (tidal forces) tears him end from end, his head separates from his body and his feet likewise. But that would not happen instantly.
  4. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 22:19
    From his perspective it would be instant. Only field with a deadly centre I know.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 22:32
    Originally posted by agryson
    From his perspective it would be instant. Only field with a deadly centre I know.
    Hot chick with superaids
  6. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 23:57
    there was a ramp and he had to jump it...
  7. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 06:42
    The man is in the gravitational field of a black hole and continues to accelerate towards its centre. As he gets closer and faster, time is slowing, all that kind of stuff, so for him he's going faster and faster until eventually he passes the event horizon, flying towards tthe centre. Now he's really moving fast, as fast as he can actually, for him, time is travelling normally so he dies instantly from his perspective, but for us it takes a couple of milliseconds for the tidal forces to mess him up.
    (still pretty instant in my books)
  8. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 06:50
    I'm looking for a sensible answer. No gravitational orbs, no aliens, no "Jesus did it".
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 06:50
    Originally posted by doodinthemood
    A man is moving toward the centre of a field. He cannot quite see the centre, and starts to speed up until he can see the centre. He realises he is going to die when he reaches the centre, but instead of turning back, he carries on speeding up, heading further toward the centre of the field. He gets to the centre, and instantly he dies.

Explain.

(I think there's only one answer)
    His final thought was "I wish I had worn a parachute"
  10. Joined
    31 May '07
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 06:51
    wayeeeee XD congratulatoids!
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jun '07 09:03
    Ahh. Interesting. The riddle begs for the black hole answer which means the real answer is a surprise (but it makes sense).

While gravity is integral to the answer, the field isn't a gravitational field. Interesting...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree