1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 05:33
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Bad wording, in the original answer where I referred to the 'final prisoner' I meant the prisoner predetermined to be the counter. He is the final prisoner in that I mentioned the other N-1 prisoners before him.
    Got it. That aspect is correct then. The counter must be designated during the collaboration.

Assume the switch is known to start in the down state. If you can construct a rigorous proof that your strategy is correct under that assumption, it may lead to an idea of how to generalize the strategy for an unknown initial state.
  2. Standard memberTheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    Out of my mind
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 10:18
    What about the situation that one of the prisoners never gets chosen?

I know it's unlikely, but that would blow a huge hole in any strategy.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 10:59
    Originally posted by TheMaster37

Exactly what I was thinking. This is the nub of the problem that was (and still is) stumping me.

Surely, if the prisoners are chosen at random, there is absolutely no way of 'ensuring' their freedom. No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

The best the prisoners could hope for was a solution where the probability that they have not all been in to the room with the switch is so small that it could be effectively discounted, surely?
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 16:451 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37

Such a situation is impossible under the correct strategy, which can be proven based on the process governing how prisoners are selected.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 16:461 edit
    Originally posted by tojo

Surely, if the prisoners are chosen at random, there is absolutely no way of 'ensuring' their freedom. No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

The best the prisoners could hope for was a solution where the probability that they have not all b ...[text shortened]... en in to the room with the switch is so small that it could be effectively discounted, surely?
    Surely, if the prisoners are chosen at random, there is absolutely no way of 'ensuring' their freedom.

False.

No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

True.

The best the prisoners could hope for was a solution where the probability that they have not all been in to the room with the switch is so small that it could be effectively discounted, surely?

False.
  6. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 17:55
    Does the first prisoner to enter the switch room know that he is the first?
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 17:59
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    Does the first prisoner to enter the switch room know that he is the first?
    No.
  8. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 18:34
    I think I've got it. Each prisoner flips the switch up twice. If there are X "non-counting" prisoners, then the "counter" must count to 2X. At this point it won't matter if his first count was bogus (due to the switch being up to start with).
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 18:45
    I think I've got it. Each prisoner flips the switch up twice. If there are X "non-counting" prisoners, then the "counter" must count to 2X. At this point it won't matter if his first count was bogus (due to the switch being up to start with).
    Very good. What remains is to combine your idea with Xanthos's in order to fully specify the complete strategy, and then to provide a proof that it is correct.
  10. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 19:16
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Very good. What remains is to combine your idea with Xanthos's in order to fully specify the complete strategy, and then to provide a proof that it is correct.
    busy work. 😞
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 19:56
    busy work. 😞
    It's going to busier if you have to fend off lots of doubters without a solid proof in hand.

For example, what about those who said that all prisoners may never get picked? And now you're saying the correct strategy requires them to get picked twice! If I were you, I'd prepare a proof.
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 22:05
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    [b]Surely, if the prisoners are chosen at random, there is absolutely no way of 'ensuring' their freedom.

False.

No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

True.

The best the prisoners could hope for was a solution wh ...[text shortened]... oom with the switch is so small that it could be effectively discounted, surely?

False.[/b]
    Forgive me for keeping on this one point, but if...

is True, as you state above, then they cannot 'ensure' their freedom, because there is always a possibility that they have not all been picked?

If been over and over this for days now, and cannot get around this, no matter how I look at it. Help!
  13. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 22:29

[b]No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

is True, as you state above, then they cannot 'ensure' their freedom, because there is always a possibility that they have not all been picked? ...[text shortened]... d over this for days now, and cannot get around this, no matter how I look at it. Help![/b]
    I think the idea is that they agree on a strategy that will prevent them from triggering their own executions by incorrectly stating that all prisoners have been chosen. However, you are correct in stating that they cannot 'ensure' their freedom, since their strategy could end up taking longer than their lifetimes.
  14. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 22:351 edit

[b]No matter how long the experiment goes on for, there will always be a probability (however small), that at least one prisoner has not been chosen.

is True, as you state above, then they cannot 'ensure' their freedom, because there is always a possibility that they have not all been picked? ...[text shortened]... d over this for days now, and cannot get around this, no matter how I look at it. Help![/b]
    The solution merely needs to have the property that it will not halt until all prisoners have been chosen, this means it will wait as long as necessary. If it takes a long time for one guy to be picked it will take a very long time, but our solution will not mind waiting for a very very long time.

Put it this way:
    You have a fair coin, if you toss it one hundred times are you guaranteed to get a head? one thousand times? one million? How about if you toss it "until you get a head", are you guaranteed to get a head now?
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Mar '06 22:512 edits

Ignoring the case that one of them dies while in prison, the process the guard uses guarantees that each will be picked. Under that process, it is impossible for any prisoner to never be picked.

This is not contrary to saying that at any given time, there is a non-zero probability that at least one prisoner will not have been picked.

Both claims are true. Iamatiger's example is a fine illustration of this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree