1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 11:12
    Alf appears on a game show and is shown three doors. Behind one door, he is told, is a car. behind each of the other two doors is a goat. Alf is asked to choose a door and he does so. The game show host then opens one of the remaining two doors to reveal a goat. Alf is asked whether he wants stick with his originally chosen door or switch to the other unopened door. His prize is whatever lies behind his final choice of door.
    Assuming Alf wants to win the car, should he switch?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 11:31
    Now you've gone and done it.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MontyHallProblem.html
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 12:111 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Now you've gone and done it.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MontyHallProblem.html
    ahhh, aware of the answer to the problem. Nevermind. 😛

EDIT: As a side note, it is amazing how many people insist that it is a 50% probability no matter how much evidence is presented.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 12:33
    Originally posted by lausey
    ahhh, aware of the answer to the problem. Nevermind. 😛

EDIT: As a side note, it is amazing how many people insist that it is a 50% probability no matter how much evidence is presented.
    It's extremely counterintuitive when you first think about it. Everyone is so careful not to fall for the Gambler's Fallacy that they straight away assume that's the "trick" to the question.
  5. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 14:281 edit
    Not again 😞

Additional: This puzzle stumped even the great mathematician Paul Erdös.
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 08:54
    There is actually a flaw in this puzzle mentioned here. It does not mention if the host knew where the car was or not. If he knew and delibrately picked a door which has a goat, then it would be 2/3 probability to switch. Would be 50-50 if the host did not know and happened to pick a door with a goat.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:41
    Originally posted by lausey
    There is actually a flaw in this puzzle mentioned here. It does not mention if the host knew where the car was or not. If he knew and delibrately picked a door which has a goat, then it would be 2/3 probability to switch. Would be 50-50 if the host did not know and happened to pick a door with a goat.
    wouldn't make for good tv if the host revealed where the car was....do you want to switch to the door that i've just shown you has the car behind it?....."hmm, that's a tough one Monty"
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:56
    Originally posted by uzless
    wouldn't make for good tv if the host revealed where the car was....do you want to switch to the door that i've just shown you has the car behind it?....."hmm, that's a tough one Monty"
    Depends if you want a male or female goat.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 10:09
    Originally posted by uzless
    I don't see why anyone would change their choice. Either you get a car, which is more than you'd expect to get from a game like this, or you get a goat, which is the best thing in the world.
  10. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 11:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't see why anyone would change their choice. Either you get a car, which is more than you'd expect to get from a game like this, or you get a goat, which is the best thing in the world.
    I think the rule is that you can take the car or the car's value in goats. Therefore the true goat lover would also want to get the car, so that it can be converted into a whole herd of goats for personal enjoyment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree